Where to live now?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Great place to fly. No state income tax, either.

Liquid_Charlie

I have lived and worked (not all my career) in NWO and even live a little north of Thunder Bay. Anyone who complains about winters here is a candy ass and has never been truly north in canada :mrgreen:

Seriously if it's about climate and life style then maybe BC is a good choice. If, on the other hand it's about possible aviation careers there are far more chances in T Bay for starting out than the highly competitive market in BC, especially for the more mature pilot.

Where you live is what you make of it

My hobby and certainly a harley replacement for me.

https://blackair.ca/Blk/content/pl.mp4
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
David MacRay

That’s solid LC. You can’t get to the deep end to catch fish from a motorcycle.
Colonel wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:45 pm
[img,]Texas-Flag-State__95459.1620938401.jpg[/img]

Great place to fly. No state income tax, either.
Plus 1 Bubba!

You know I love a place with that many cows, and instead of being something normal that could happen any day, regardless of what month it is, snow is considered a state of emergency.

The barbecue can be pretty good there too.
CpnCrunch

David MacRay wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:35 pm
Golly Crunch, I would love to join the VFC but the prices for habitable structures near there is a bit more than I would like to spend. What’s up close to Comox/Qualicum?
Yeah, it's really crazy right now, and it's very expensive right up to Campbell River. Port Alberni is still relatively cheap.
Chuck Ellsworth

Living in Esquimalt would be like living in Hawaii weather wise.
TwinOtterFan

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:52 am
Tough to argue with that Chuck, senior staff was hinting Comox might be more likely than Esquimalt today, but it's all guess without the CM. I do have concerns about progressing my career there vs TBay. But we will see.
Big Pistons Forever

Sealand Flight has a busy flight school in Campbell River and there are potential job opportunities there.
CpnCrunch

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:05 am
Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:52 am
Tough to argue with that Chuck, senior staff was hinting Comox might be more likely than Esquimalt today, but it's all guess without the CM. I do have concerns about progressing my career there vs TBay. But we will see.
Well, Victoria isn't really like Hawaii in the winter...drizzly and overcast about 50% of days. But summer is amazing. Comox is a great area too.
Colonel

The Pacific Northwest seems to be cold and rainy most of the time. I could never live in
Washington (state) or Oregon.

But ... IIRC correctly, there is no state income tax in Washington, and no sales tax in Oregon,
or so my friends that live there, tell me.

The Dream™ might be to live in the southern part of Washington, and pay no state income tax,
and hop south across the border to Oregon to shop, where there is no sales tax.

If you like to watch it rain all the time.

I don't like rain. I'm old, and I want to live someplace that is 70 and sunny every day, and
there are no bugs. No bugs is a huge advantage. Don't have to de-scale the front of the
car, the airplane and the motorcycle, and you can leave the doors open. Don't need screens
in the doors or windows. Awesome.

I know lots of guys that have moved to Hawaii but living on the top of an active volcano
is almost as stupid as living on top of the San Andreas fault.

Eureka and northwards, it rains all the time. No bueno.

Incredible cheese from Point Reyes, but for some reason that I don't understand, Canadians
don't like great cheese or cheap dairy. Go figure.

PS Reminds me. My cousin just moved to Palm Springs. Gotta go visit. Sigh.
TwinOtterFan

Welp.... Squaretail for the win, Edmonton it is. No timeline yet, I guess with the labor market shortage they can't find people to move the stuff, story is people are getting posted and there stuff is staying behind. So that should be interesting.