The four bar thing.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

I know.

I laughed my ass off when Rookie implied I
didn't know anything about off-pavement or
IFR ops because I can do surface acro.

I've been flying a Maule off anything and
everything for 44 years now - with no
accidents.  Pretty junior to Rookie, I guess.

We should try to learn from these experts,
Chuck!

Chuck Ellsworth

We probably shouldn't beat up on him...but it is tempting isn't it?  >:D
CpnCrunch

Both aerobatics and flying in PNG are inherently risky, and less than stellar pilot skills will eventually result in a mishap. According to wikipedia, US embassy personnel are prohibited from flying with Susi due to their accident record, but that seems a little unfair. I'm not sure if any airline would have a better safety record in those conditions.
Chuck Ellsworth

There are lots of difficult types of flying.

The High Arctic off airport flying in IMC weather is about as difficult as it gets.

Comparing aerobatics to that kind of flying is not really relevant.
Rookie Pilot

Chuck Ellsworth wrote: O.K. Rookie Pilot I'll bow to your obvious exceptional knowledge of this subject.

Can you take some of your posting time to relate your personal experiences in these areas of flying so us less experienced unwashed can learn from you?

Oh, what exactly does a five thousand foot runway have to do do with flying aerobatics in a Pitts?

Never said me.  I'm still a rookie as my handle indicates. Nothing to brag about. Friends of mine, happen to wear 4 bars, that's a different story. 

Their time and number of types is right up there too.  One's in PNG right now, single engine over the jungle. 20,000 hours -- and a lot of them down there. Floats and land. So forgive me if I don't ooooo and ahhhh all the time. 

I do listen to my 3 good friends in that category. Dozens of  types flown, too.  Could do worse for advice. But maybe I shouldn't, as all three actually wear 4 bars today.

I'm commenting because  the whole 4 bars labelling is somewhat ridiculous. Good and bad pilots anywhere and every level, I would submit. 3, four and no bars. Private guys like me are far worse per the stats.

Never mind. In a mood today. But at least this ex - floor trader doesn't have really sensitive  "feelings" ---Used to make my living screaming at, and getting screamed at, with 100 guys in the size of your living room. Too bad those floors are closed. Those were the days -- 
Chuck Ellsworth

Never said me.  I'm still a rookie as my handle indicates. Nothing to brag about. Friends of mine, happen to wear 4 bars, that's a different story.
Hey please don't take this personal as we are aware you are not speaking from your own personal experience.

What is going on here is the Colonel and I just like to poke fun at the whole aviation culture, which attracts some of the most interesting people in society probably because flying is looked upon by the general public as some sort of special kind of activity, when the truth is it is no more than operating a mechanical device that is designed to be almost idiot proof.

So looking at it that way my question asking why pilots dress up looking like decorated military hero's how come bus drivers and truck drivers don't get to wear the same stuff?
Rookie Pilot

It's all good chuck. No worries.    Hey my experience just under 1000, just chewing solid food.  Doesnt bother me to say so, either. Least I've left the patch unlike so many where Collingwood is a big CC. Boring....for the 10th time.

I'm in a mood.  Should go flying tommorrow to get rid of it.  Haven't since Wednesday thats a long time!

I suppose it's why you said.  (The bars) Helps in Africa, right?  Bus drivers get a tie.  Seems fair.

I rode along while  visiting  a friend few years back and we flew into DRC, then remembered I had no permit. NP, borrowed a (3 bar) shirt, put a look on my face, walked right past the guards -----  NP.  8)

Colonel

I have several friends that went to fly in Africa,
and they all brought back Malaria - it never goes
away - and stories of a really unpleasant place.

If you have to fly in Africa to be a hero, that's
cool with me.
Rookie Pilot

Colonel wrote: I have several friends that went to fly in Africa,
and they all brought back Malaria - it never goes
away - and stories of a really unpleasant place.

If you have to fly in Africa to be a hero, that's
cool with me.

Depends where. I seriously considered it. Schooling and health are issues, though. Or I'm simply a wimp. I've been over to visit three times, 6-7 different countries.  Pretty diverse. Amazing flying, though.  I plan to visit my friend in PNG while he's there and do some flying with him, too.
Colonel

PNG is one of the places I have been told
is a real toilet.  A good friend of mine did
not have a good time there - and he is a
very adaptable fellow - a very skilled fixed
wing and rotary wing pilot and mechanic.

Enjoy having malaria for the rest of your
life.  Try to avoid HIV/AIDS as well - hope
you don't need any medical care.

PS  "Full Metal Jacket" is on WGNA right
now!  God, I love R. Lee Ermy.