What constitutes a 'four bars' anyway?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

[quote]people who look down their nose at others who haven't flown this type or that type[/quote]

Assuming that was aimed at me, I have
no idea how you got that message from
my post above.

[quote]it's not always easy to find a place to fly some of the older/more unusual types[/quote]

I must tread carefully here. 

In my experience, there are plenty of
people who like to talk, but precious
few who are up for the moment.

When you call them out on it, they
always have excuses.  Trying to get
the hangar war heroes to actually fly
one of the airplanes they talk endlessly
about is always a waste of time.  So,
I end up checking myself out.

Then, someone with a shiny new SUV
will tell me that they don't have $15k
to buy half of a Pitts S1.

Lie to yourself if it makes you feel better,
but lying to me isn't going to work.

We all make choices.  Try not to make
excuses for the choices you make.

Chuck Ellsworth

Before you can fly any airplane you first have to start it.

There is a very big difference between starting a DC6 and starting a Boeing or an Airbus.

And there is something really comforting having those four BMEP gauges for setting power in a DC6.

Rui is Purplehelmut.
Purplehelmut

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=233.msg726#msg726 date=1433972491]

Rui is Purplehelmut.
[/quote]

What's this Rui? Remote user interface? Remote update infrastructure? Or are you just under the mistaken impression that you've figured out my identity and it's someone called "Rui"?
Purplehelmut

Ah, I see your error now, after a little googling. It seems that you think I'm that other avcanada user, and you've tried to out me. That's not actually me, although I do think it's a bit shitty to try to out someone who prefers to remain anonymous. (I don't really give a rats ass myself, and I've already given my identity to many people on avcanada who aren't nutbars).

Anyway, if we're into outing people, perhaps there are some people here who aren't aware of the Colonel's history:

www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-regserv/boyda468.doc

"All of these pilots were testifying against a fellow pilot. They all said that they did so only very reluctantly and because they felt strongly about the actions of Mr. Boyd, which could have brought the aerobatic community into substantial disrepute. They felt that Mr. Boyd’s flight was ill‑advised, irresponsible, dangerous, and had the potential for a serious accident which could have killed Mr. Boyd and others on the ground."

"They all confirmed seeing Mr. Boyd digress from the flight line, descending vertically over the assembled contestants outside the terminal building on one of his manoeuvres. He had been blown off course by the wind, and because of the low cloud and poor visibility, he had not been able to correct this."

"the eyewitnesses were unanimous in their observations that they lost sight of Mr. Boyd’s S‑2B from time to time, either as it entered or slipped behind low cloud."

Sounds like a real class act and awesome pilot.
Colonel

[quote]That's not actually me[/quote]

That's what you kept saying on AvCan, Rui!

How are things in the 'peg?  Considered taking
up flying sometime, instead of just talking
about it?

PS  I love your name here.  Very appropriate
for you!

Hey, I have a great idea.  Why don't we have
the software here display the IP address of
the postings, so we can see Rui posting from
work?  I can take some screen shots and send
them to the President of his company.
Purplehelmut

Your attempted bullying would be amusing to me if it wasn't quite so pathetic. I've been flying for quite a few years, and I can say that I've never had the plane end up somewhere other than where I planned it to be. Was that a result of poor skills or decision making on your part, or a combination of both?
Colonel

You're so funny - you think that honesty
is "bullying"  ;D

Keep throwing rocks from the safety of
the darkness. 

How are things at B/E Aerospace these days?
HiFlyChick

[quote author=Colonel link=topic=233.msg725#msg725 date=1433969763]
[quote]people who look down their nose at others who haven't flown this type or that type[/quote]

Assuming that was aimed at me, I have
no idea how you got that message from
my post above.[/quote]

That wasn't from this thread necessarily, but from the sum total of your posts (you know - how you've mentioned "four bars" that haven't even flown ______ (insert small, fun A/C type here)).

I think it would be really cool to try out a bunch of different types, but I've not seen much variation in the rental market, and I just don't feel comfortable asking to borrow someone's airplane, even if I put fuel in it.  I was hopeful a few years back because there was rumours that a guy I know (of) was getting a Pitts and I thought that maybe he would check me out, but he never bought it in the end.  (Seeing as I've never had the opportunity to fly a taildragger I'd need some sort of instruction as to how to land it.)

In my experience, there are plenty of people who like to talk, but precious
few who are up for the moment. When you call them out on it, they
always have excuses.[/quote]
I agree - I've had that happen before myself, although in many cases, financial constraints do indeed play a part

Then, someone with a shiny new SUV will tell me that they don't have $15k to buy half of a Pitts S1.... [/quote]
For the record, I drive an old Saturn that we paid $5000 for, which was the most we've ever spent on a car.  Our
"second car" is my motorcycle that is 16 yrs old.  Works fine when we need to go separate directions (except in the winter)
but it sure was cold the year that I had to drive my husband in the rain on Christmas Eve to pick up a borrowed car
because ours broke! :)  (I hate borrowing cars, too but at that point we were stuck)

That being said, you're right, I could cash in RRSPs and buy something fun, but I just don't see myself flying it enough to
justify the cost, seeing as I'm not retired yet and also have family commitments (and costs at my local (large) airport are horrendous).  Someday I hope to be somewhere where there's a Pitts for dual so I can try one out....
Colonel

[quote]justify the cost[/quote]

In my experience, people don't buy an airplane
(or a motorcycle, or a boat, or a horse) because
it passes a financial investment cost/benefit analysis.

They do it because they want it.

I have a friend with a very expensive boat.  I
once told him to never, ever add up all of his
costs and divide that dollar number by the number
of hours he has spent on the boat, otherwise
he might reach for the razor blades and hemlock
if he knew how many tens of thousands of dollars
[i]per hour[/i] that his boat cost.

Anyways, most people just don't want it
bad enough, and they make up excuses for
the choices that they made.  I can only
apologize for my observation of that situation -
telling the truth in public is an extremely
dangerous habit.

[quote]a Pitts for dual so I can try one out[/quote]

You probably won't believe me, but my
father - a T-6/T-33/F-86/F-104 pilot that
makes me look sweet and kind and tolerant -
bought his S-2B (four years old, 53 hours
on the tach) without [i]ever having flown the type[/i].

He loved it.  Unlike any other western
military pilot that I know of, he learned
to live with negative G.  He spent day
after day, doing hammerheads and
inside/outside cubans and reverse cubans
and inside/outside loops.

His rationale?  "The aircraft will do negative
G, so I should, too".  Never met any other
western military pilot that wasn't badly
prejudiced against negative G.  Oh, except
Fern Villeneuve.  He knows what the score is.

Keep in mind that he was 70 years old at
the time.