Chat about Mooney

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
anofly

Have a very careful look for corrosion in the tubular structure. Some of the mid 60 to early 70 models that have spent any appreciable time outside, are borderline not worth fixing due to structural corrosion. Have Tri City Aero look it over before you buy one. Clarence owned one and knows lots about the type, where to look etc.

Chuck Ellsworth

I flew the Mooney Mite in 1954.

It was a neat little critter and really fun to fly.

Fendermandan

[quote author=anofly link=topic=5227.msg13451#msg13451 date=1483124163]
Have a very careful look for corrosion in the tubular structure. Some of the mid 60 to early 70 models that have spent any appreciable time outside, are borderline not worth fixing due to structural corrosion. Have Tri City Aero look it over before you buy one. Clarence owned one and knows lots about the type, where to look etc.
[/quote]

Great info, thank you. I found one local guy that will check me out on the type so I will see if it will fit the usability. I know they are good cruisers, but 90Kt handling is important.

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=5227.msg13405#msg13405 date=1482866735]
Free advice for people flying their first retractable
piston prop (could be single mooney/bonanza/comanche,
or twin):

You can go down, or you can slow down.  But you
can't do both at the same time
[/quote]

As usual good tip. Last year, I flew twin comanche and untill i got my shit together on exact ref approach speed depending on the fuel and people load landings were bizzare float fests and go arounds.

DeflectionShot

[quote]I flew the Mooney Mite in 1954. It was a neat little critter and really fun to fly.[/quote]

Here's a 1949 Mooney Mite in action...notice the land gear warning arm...pretty clever.

JW Scud

[quote author=DeflectionShot link=topic=5227.msg13469#msg13469 date=1483229470]

[quote]I flew the Mooney Mite in 1954. It was a neat little critter and really fun to fly.[/quote]

Here's a 1949 Mooney Mite in action...notice the land gear warning arm...pretty clever.

[/quote]

That is really cool. I saw my first Mooney Mite recently in Santa Monica and I was wondering what that funny thing was for.

As for speedbrakes, it seems like they don't do much on final but at higher speed on descent, they do make a significant difference. The one I fly has a thing that looks like a sphygmomanometer. Turns out that it inflates the door seal. Makes a big difference in noise.