Brakes:

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

hmm come to think of it I have only operated aircraft with hydraulic brakes....
8)

Slick Goodlin

[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=4487.msg11805#msg11805 date=1476132687]
hmm come to think of it I have only operated aircraft with hydraulic brakes....
8)
[/quote]
Well that makes me feel better about my apparent lack of world's experience in different types of brakes.  All I've used is in-boosted hydraulic, cable heel brakes, cable DH brakes (do those have a name?) and none at all.

Hydraulic is great, proving again that things don't become ubiquitous for nothing.

Cable heel brakes are fine when you figure the planes using them only need brakes for start, run up and maneuvering in tight quarters.  The cable brakes installed on a Moth take a little more brain to run but not much.  What they have is a hand brake handle that pulls on both cables at once, plus full rudder deflection gives differential braking.  You can cheat those a bit by pulling on a couple clicks of handbrake but if you're in a hurry it would be nice to have three hands to do so.

The hardest brakes are none at all.  Not impossible but you have to consider where you are and where you're going.  Low pressure balloon tires are easy, big spoked wheels just roll and roll.
cgzro

Judging by the fun the mechanics at Vintage Wings have I'd say anything British... mechanical, pneumatic, whatever ... all seem to cause great outpourings of four letter words.

As for me the Tiger Moth is the worst I've flown. Mechanical with differential induced by a handle on the left. Need three hands to taxi.. joy.

Slick Goodlin

[quote author=cgzro link=topic=4487.msg11817#msg11817 date=1476157848]
As for me the Tiger Moth is the worst I've flown. Mechanical with differential induced by a handle on the left. Need three hands to taxi.. joy.
[/quote]
If it's a C model you should get differential with full rudder, otherwise you can take up slack with the handle.  Just leave a couple clicks on when you're maneuvering and remember to release them completely for takeoff and landing.