Word of the day

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Fair enough and I often like to ask way too many questions when flying with an instructor.

Sometimes I decide to just go with the flow.

I know once when I asked why anyone would say, “Any conflicting traffic please advise.” The instructor claimed it was for safety. I have too much experience on the internet to bother trying to debate that. I refused to say it or try to explain why I think it won’t do anything.

I’m lazy, I would rather just say “practicing simulated forced approaches” while flying with someone if it makes them happy, than have a debate.

Slick Goodlin

I admit I do clearly enunciate the word ‘simulated’ on the radio whenever I’m talking about practice engine-out stuff. Simulated has a lot of syllables and stands out even if someone’s radio sucks, and it keeps ATC from getting jumpy. Ironically, when you tell them you’re doing a simulated single engine approach they tend to think that means we’ll be flying slower.
TwinOtterFan

I feel like I may need to clarify something I wasn't skipping the word simulated on purpose or maliciously or because I thought it was wrong. I just plain didn't get it right.

Now I do think it's redundant, your basically saying the same thing twice. I only brought it up because it reminded me of something people always said in the army and it made me chuckle. Which looking back was probably only amusing to me.

In case anyone is still reading this and wondering there is an acronym FFO which stands for Full Fighting Order. Which is an order of dress state, well there is always that one guy who would scream "grab your full FFO" and a bunch of us would all look at each other in the midst of the chaos and kinda chuckle at the Full Full Fighting Order..... I guess you had to be their lol.
David MacRay

Yup, a lot of people use a personal identification number number.
Slick Goodlin

“Full FFO” must have been implemented by the Department of Redundancy Department. The also developed the ATM Machine and a whole host of other things...
TwinOtterFan

See you guys get it lol,

All that aside I remember sitting in the woods one night on comms and as all the other ambulances did their hourly radio check with zero one of the amb drivers couldn't remember his own call sign, he gave it 3 or 4 solid tries then just held the mike keyed for a while to dead air, mumbled F@#k it. And gave up for the night.
Liquid_Charlie

One of the most difficult things to do was de-program new F/O's from all that verbal diarrhoea they learned in flight school. With busy frequencies to tie up a frequency to say that mouthful was crazy and potentially dangerous.

My first question to them was "what is a traffic advisory for" and with all the traffic - keep it simple stupid is the best. You don't need to go into a detailed position report all you need to do is establish if there actually is traffic. Then once established figure out the landing sequence and maybe move it to the MF instead of the enroute freq. There is also no need to advise on enroute freq when manoeuvring on the ground for departure. That's what the MF is for. 126.7 just keeps taking a shit kicking with guys who think they are being professional but in reality they are just being stupid and adding unnecessary TX time and blocking others.

Reliance on the radio has diminished what VFR flight is all about. People just don't keep a good visual scan anymore.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
David MacRay

I’m listening to YYC arrivals and thinking about this thread and extra chatter. I remember someone on AdCanada wrote, “You don’t need to tell them you’re squawking ident.”

It’s funny now that I think back, like many other people I used to love doing it. Until then it never occurred to me a verbal response was pointless.

They are going to know when I push the button. That’s why they asked me to do it.
Liquid_Charlie

Funny you should mention that - I learned many years, circa 1974 ago 2 things about managing transponders, what you mentioned, yup you have already acknowledged the call and you never go to standby if requested to change codes.

The latter has, on several occasions, the box was not turned back on and that creates many other problems. It seems that back when it was a common thing to have several different codes during a flight and with the tech back then failing to turn your xponder back on just simply meant you disappeared and ceased to exit as far as ATC was concerned. When it get's discovered down range and you find the proper ATC frequency they would have nothing on you and as far as they were concerned you were a new IFR popup - just think about what just happened on an IFR flight, No clearance, no traffic separation and on and on.

I think the radar systems are more sophisticated now and they would be looking for you but still lapse in coverage is not the safest thing you want to be in.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
John Swallow

TwinOtterFan wrote: ↑28 May 2021, 10:48

"I was corrected 3 times yesterday while practicing forced approaches. I gave my position report, location, altitude ect ending with "practicing forced approaches" and I was corrected to "Practicing simulated forced approaches"

You can tell that plug for me that he is in the wrong: you are correct. Given that in this instance "practicing" and "simulated" mean the same thing, what your instructor is telling you to say is "...I am simulating simulated forced approaches" or "...I am practicing practice forced approaches".

John