One Wheel Touch and Goes

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
cgzro

Often when checking a prospective tail dragger pilot there is not much cross wind and a quick run down the runway on each wheel is a good way to know if they have the skill without the actual wind. Plus its fun and tires are not that expensive compared to all the other crap in a plane.

Colonel

Compared to locking up a brake, the wear from any kind of normal
one-wheel landing is pretty minimal.

The exception is perhaps if the tire pressure is low. You're going to
do one-wheel landings, I recommend at least the maximum recommended
tire pressure.
Liquid_Charlie

The secret to the problem is land in the grass, sandbars, eskers (can you believe the spell checker does not have the word), gravel roads, and farmers fields, mountain meadows, landing anywhere except on a runway is much more fun and it saves the tyers. I guess I have lived in the sticks too long but even when I was a teenager flying a J3 I was always looking for "neat" places to land. I'll be this attitude has been beat out of people through instruction and regulation. It seems that there is an innate fixation of regulations these days. What happened to having fun and all the cool stuff seems to be hiding in places like Idaho and Alaska/Yukon.

Southern Ontario has turned into a total shit show. I went into Buttonville on a weekend a cpl years back, IFR but the day was VFR -- all I can say a real cluster fuck dodging VFR traffic. It brings back memories when I flew the "golden horseshoe" nordo, life was so less complicated back then. It's a shame that most pilots doing this as a hobby won't get to experience the fun of flying and not just going from a to b and the aircraft just turns into a means of alternate transportation. Ya I know -- "BOOMER BRAIN" :lol:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
David MacRay

There seems to be lots of people doing the fun back country stuff in Idaho but also Utah and Nevada.

If I make a mistake picking numbers for a lottery and win, plus feel like flying again, I might go check it out.
Colonel wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:45 am
I have been practicing zero/zero landings
Not sure if you believe me or not, but I envy your tranquil life.
Yeah, it was awesome. I suppose you could take a hammer or something and hit yourself in the knee. Not too hard, just enough for a painful limp.
Colonel

I saw you on TV the other night

David MacRay

Nope, I just wrote one of the things I might do if the border opens up again.
Colonel

hit yourself in the knee
Is that some hip metaphor that I don't understand? Like being a "Karen"?
David MacRay

Does Karen have arthritis?