Flight Training In the Winter

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

Haha - I'm not sure all that frost bite is winning. I was in Thompson about this time last year and it rang the bell at 42 and strangely enough nothing fucking worked - AGAIN!

Eric Janson

When I worked out of Yellowknife there was no temperature cut-off for the DC-3.

One morning when I came to work it was -48c. This was before the hangar and everything was outside.

I did one trip to a remote mine site out of Yellowknife. The temperature gauge was sitting on the bottom stop which would have been around -50c.

When I went outside I felt the rubber on my Kamiks getting stiff. That's the only time I've ever had this happen. No idea how cold it was - we unloaded as quickly as possible and left.

I hate Winter - which is why I'm flying out of Dubai and Australia. The only ice I see is the ice in my drink!
Chuck Ellsworth

When I worked out of Yellowknife there was no temperature cut-off for the DC-3.
I landed in Mayo one day in a DC3 and the temperature was minus sixty four, there was a delay for about half an hour and I'll be God Damned if I didn't bust an oil cooler when I started up again to leave.

Spent the next two days there getting a new oil cooled installed.

It was my own fucking fault of course though because I should have thrown the engine tents over the engines while I waited.
Slick Goodlin

Today was one of those SKC and dead calm too-cold-for-weather days that I love trying to explain to Texans.  The only drawback was that I spent my day behind a snowblower.  Weather-wise I’m hoping the rest of the week is more of the same.
Liquid Charlie

Get a tractor, after many years chasing a snow blower I figured it was time for a change. My 40 horse John Deere with cab and heat - sweet  :D
Slick Goodlin

Liquid Charlie wrote: Get a tractor
At some point I have to, I’m too ambitious for my snow blower and keep blowing axle pins.  I’ll go ahead and blame the last owner for the auger gearbox I mulched in it...

I have my eye out for a decent size tractor, probably have to skip the cab since my barn has a stupidly low ceiling but I can dress warm easy enough.
Liquid Charlie

I actually got an aftermarket cab (curtis cab) because the JD cab was too high and also was not compatible with the back hoe It fits nicely through an 8 foot high door even with garage door hanging down. The tractor will not fit through the door with the roll bar in the up position which is higher than the cab. I too was cabless for several years but it's the best 10 grand I spent in a long time.
Slick Goodlin

Ten grand?  I could put eight more cars in my garage for that!
David MacRay

Ten cars? You're more thrifty than my wife Slick.

Just make a folding frame and tarp cab.
Colonel

I probably shouldn't mention this, but I got another motorcycle yesterday.

They were on sale.  I told my wife, "Look at all the money we just saved!"

[img width=328 height=500][/img]

Perfect commuter bike for traffic.  I can ride inbetween the cars, up over the sidewalks, etc.

Eric told me, a friend of his has an electric unicycle that will go 40 mph.
Unfortunately, I cannot juggle, so that was out.