1929 Pietenpol Aircamper

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Tailwind W10

That's a Stampe SV 4.  I didn't have any problems finding it in the registry.

Gerry

GoBoy

[quote author=Fendermandan link=topic=641.msg2522#msg2522 date=1439914330]
Sorry again it looks like flickr changes the URL after you visit it, you know its all about collecting the info. This is not my flickr account.

Lets try this:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/crispyrat/Ji6819

If you go page 2 you will find C-FXME. I think it's not yours, still the nice plane. I can't find the reg in the TC directory.
[/quote]

No that's not me as I do not own a Stampe but that particular aircraft is owned by a friend of mine
GoBoy

Well as a result of my loving flying the above mentioned Aircamper, I have located one and will head to Tennessee next week to pick it up.
The aircraft was built to 90% completion by a retired NASA Engineer but unfortunately he passed away before completion.
From the looks of the pics I was sent, the workmanship is extremely high.
The aircraft comes with a 1929 Ford model A engine that is partially started but needs to be  modified for flight
Wings and tail feathers are covered , fuselage still needs covering and is on its gear
Comes with all the materials required to complete.
Hmmmm just turned 53 is this my mid life kicking in ?
Tailwind W10

GoBoy, just making sure...

Have you done you're homework on what it will take to bring the project into Canada?

Gerry
GoBoy

Gerry
Yes I have
Its I think the 8th time I have done this now  ;)
Quite simple really
In spite of what others may say , I have never had a problem
Tailwind W10

Good On-Ya GoBoy.

Have fun with it.  I always like the Peit, though I think I'd do it with a Corvair engine rather than the Model A.  ;D
And, living in central Alberta, I think it'd have a canopy as well.  Can't have it sitting all winter long.  May have to build one some day.
G
GoBoy

Tailwind W10

Nowadays many Piets are powered by more modern engines however they just don't look and sound original .
Being a purist that's what I'm after.
As I already have an operational WW2 Vintage aircraft , this Piet is a part of a long term plan ie my retirement / twilight years down the road .
I will take my time completing her so that she will be as true to original as possible and a nice aircraft to downsize to years from now .
They are relatively cheap to acquire and there are presently some good fliers and projects on www.barnstormers.com
At our airport we have the one I originally started this thread about , mine and one other
The hope is to take all three down to  the Pietenpol Gathering that takes place annually at Broadhead Wisconsin
A long low and slow journey at 65-70 mph but a fun one.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Tailwind W10 link=topic=641.msg3599#msg3599 date=1444152666]
living in central Alberta, I think it'd have a canopy as well.[/quote]
With the Model A you get to sit behind a nice, toasty radiator...
Four Bars

The closest I came to flying something like that was Lloyd Wynn's home built, I can't remember what it was, a parasol of some kind that was hard to get into and my head pressed against the wing bottom when seated.
All I recall hearing about flying a Pietenpol with that engine was that one could see the ice forming on the outside of the carburetor.
When selecting carburetor heat, the pilot quickly learned to lean the other way after the first, and only time, getting a face full of ice shards.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Four Bars link=topic=641.msg3612#msg3612 date=1444176646]
The closest I came to flying something like that was Lloyd Wynn's home built, I can't remember what it was, a parasol of some kind that was hard to get into and my head pressed against the wing bottom when seated.[/quote]
It's a Baby Ace D, any idea where it is nowadays?