"Instructor Shortage" == #fakenews

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Should I be in on this one. I left high school after grade twelve since .i just don't fit in. I took a bunch of night courses. I can't do math because. "X is a variable." Is fine but now you add, a, b, y, etc then refuse to explain them beyond...

"They're just variables, don't worry about them..." [size=36pt]HULK SMASH![/size]

Sorry side tracked.

I got a decent paying factory job while some of my acquaintances went to university. Three years later they were working at seven eleven and I had to quit my job because I felt my brain atrophy from lack of use. I guess I learned spending a third of your time at work means it's part of you. I got a high school deplorable with English 30 and chemistry 30, still stuck on math 20 and was a bad boy so I dropped out of physics and never made it back.

Didn't work hard enough to be a frustrated musician and they wanted to interview me for UI so I started an electrical apprenticeship. I wish I knew that is the worst trade because of all the "smart" guys in it.

Eventually I got to a point where the wage was too high to turn down and just kept doing it too long.

Found out you don't need to go to university to be a pilot. Fooled around with flight training. Got a PPL after a few years, Bought a house, never quite got a recommend for CPL flight test...

I love pizza, pasta, hamburgers, babeque, beer and soda pop!

Education is not worthless but it's kind of annoying that paying to be brainwashed into thinking you are smarter than someone that can change the tire on a car just because you have a piece of paper and know some big words is odd.

Colonel

The piece of paper is for the fat lady in HR.  What matters is whether or not
you have brains, because that determines whether or not you can do stuff,
and learn new stuff, which is what matters.

Bill Gates dropped out of school, but he became the world's richest man,
because he's smarter than everybody else, he worked harder than everybody
else, and he was in the right place at the right time.  He didn't need a degree,
and he didn't come from a rich family - quite the opposite.

A friend of mine, recently turned 30, did his Master's in Electrical Engineering
at Stanford.  Cost him US$50k - not that much - and he did 12 courses, 9 of
which he said were a waste, and 3 of which were worthwhile.  But, he's 30
with a MS from Stanford on his resume, which is nice.

A MS is like a shiny car, or a cute little airplane.  If you want it, get it - for yourself!

[img width=500 height=257][/img]

People make too much of a deal about degrees.  I know a guy, just quit and
went to work for Google.  I found out he has a PhD from someplace in France. 
Nice guy, but really not out of the ordinary.  Contrast him with another guy I know of,
incredibly influential, he has changed your life - you probably would think he's rich
(not really), but you've never heard of him, he only has BS and MS  - no PhD.  It
doesn't matter - he's super-bright (at least 1/100,000) and that's what matters.  Oh
yeah, he works harder than any ten people you have ever met.

What matters is what you've done AFTER you left school.  And, how hard you work.
Eric Janson

[quote author=John Swallow link=topic=9705.msg27680#msg27680 date=1555713647]
[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Times New Roman][/font][/color][left][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][font=Times New Roman][size=16px]Speaking as a grade school reject, why is a bachelor's degree a useless waste of money...?  I am academically stunted in that regard and wonder why you would denigrate it so...? [/size][/font][/color][/left]
[/quote]

My 7 years at Buffalo taught me more than anything I've learned in school.

Best education you can get imho.
David MacRay

I like the "major in Hopi basket weaving" example.

I believe learning to physically make the baskets might help one understand several useful skills we can use to make many things.

Learning the names of people that have made baskets in the past? I just don't appreciate that knowledge.

I was always annoyed by the "Who is responsible for making legislation..." type questions on Tranport Canada written tests. Maybe I'll go risk my browser crashing from ad overload to ask that at AvCanada, it might trigger one of their debates.
Colonel

[quote]My 7 years at Buffalo taught me more than anything I've learned in school.[/quote]

I'm sure it did.  The fact that they didn't issue you a certificate when you left,
does not somehow diminish the skills and knowledge you acquired.

I was explaining to a non-pilot the other day, that you could determine
a pilot's history, merely by glancing at his type ratings on his ATPL.
Trey Kule

Really?

I know some pilots with amazing experience.  Flew supersonic jets .heavy transport into small spaces. Or helicopters into combat.  I don’t think their civilian license ratings showed any of that.
I know some PPLholders  who have amazing experience flying solo around the world. Taking off and landing planes in places mountain goats couldn’t walk.  I don’t think their ratings on their licenses reflect that .

Now, I suppose there are those who collect ratings on their license in the same way cub scouts collect badges.
I have never really bothered to casually ask someone to show me their license and ratings, and can’t imagine I will ever do it . For check rides, employment and similar, if course.

Now that I think about it, it might prove interesting to see how many heavy ratings are on some peoples’ licenses.  Particularly those who pontificate about how modern airliners fly, and disparage those who fly them.  A bit difficult to speak knowingly about the differences in flying between civilian, military, and heavies with experience almost exclusively in one category.  I suppose one could offer up the fact that while they have absolutely zero military experience, their daddy was in the military.  Experience by association?  Can one get their father’s ratings put on their license?
Or think that only ATPLs have any aviation experience.  According to the logic, an ex military pilot that never held a civilian license has zero aviation experience because they dont hold an ATPL.

To be fair, I have never sat around a table and said, lets all pull out our licenses and flop them on the table so we can determine each other’s history.  I leave that to those who desperately need to seek the adoration of their fellow aviators

Colonel

OOOoooohhh ... someone’s really butt-hurt this morning!

Would you like me to call your boyfriend and try to
get him to call you back?
Trey Kule

that’s the best rebuttal you have. 
I believe that is  what is called Freudian Projection

I sort of expected you to post pictures of your endorsement page, or at least refer us to your linkedin profile. 

David MacRay

If you two can either stop flirting or get a room, we can go back to debating ejewkayshun...

Without some decent book lurnin we risk becoming flat earthers. Building your own rocket to go up and look at the curve of the earth is difficult. Even though some reckless kid did send a go pro up with a huge balloon you have to do it yourself or believe in the work of others.

Check this out.

Slick Goodlin

[quote author=David MacRay link=topic=9705.msg27724#msg27724 date=1556116299]
Building your own rocket to go up and look at the curve of the earth is difficult.
[/quote]
The rocket guy is a genius, look up his history.  All he really wanted to do was blast off in a home made rocket for personal reasons, but the crowdfunding campaign totally flopped.  As soon as he re-branded as a flat earth researcher he had more than enough money for the launch.  I can respect that.