Plane that landed on Calgary street had enough fuel to reach airport

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Lots of paper, but precious little knowledge or skill.

Living the TC dream!

David MacRay

Sorry I should have come back. I read the article and it said they missed the emergency checklist that would have told them to switch to the inboard tanks.

I guess Transport has them now.

I can't throw rocks from my glorious glass house though. I am bad with check lists myself. I use a memorized flow check in the 172 pre landing. Checking that the fuel selector valve is on both is part of it but I'm only human.

I don't recall what I did in the Warrior II because it does not have an option for both tanks and it was well over a decade since I drove one of them. I liked them back then but I wonder how loose the wings are now.
Colonel

The four bars don't like it when I say this, but I'd take
one good pilot instead of two crappy pilots any day of
the week.

Engines don't like it when you don't feed them fuel.

Peter Burkill found that out, right before BA fired
his ass because Boeing fucked up.
David MacRay

Well, when the engine sputtered I'd just reach down and switch to the reserve on my RD-350 easy peasy, but I don't think I'd use that technique with an airplane.
Colonel

You're light years ahead of these donkeys.

But that doesn't matter.  They'll be at AC in a couple years,
looking for a taxiway to land on.
Kartoon

What happen to the “mixture/Pitch/Power.... Crossfeedswitchtanksfuelpumps !? lol
Colonel

Probably doesn't matter any more - the left seater is almost certainly
operating kerosene burners now, and will do so for the rest of their
career.

The guy in the right seat - I think his name was Dead Meat? - could
have been better replaced by 200 lbs of fuel - 100 lbs in each outboard,
optimally.

Quite seriously, one [b]good[/b] pilot in the left seat and another another 200
lbs of fuel would have been a far more successful configuration, but I'm
not sure we're allowed to mention unpleasant truths.  Feelings might
get hurt.

NB  We can objectively define "good pilot" as someone that knows that
[b]engines need fuel to produce power[/b].  A high bar these days, I know.
Liquid Charlie

[quote][size=small][b][font=verdana]Quite seriously, one [/font][font=verdana]good[/font][font=verdana] pilot in the left seat and another another 200 [/font][font=verdana]lbs of fuel would have been a far more successful configuration, but I'mnot sure we're allowed to mention unpleasant truths.  Feelings might get hurt.[/font][/b][/size][/quote][size=small][b][font=verdana]

In this class of aircraft -- absofuckinglutely --  I flew all over single pilot IFR and was always happy to do so. I would purposely leave wantabes behind because they were such a pain, slowed me down and interfered with the job at hand. The only restrictions those days were the "WX" minimums but operationally never interfered since there is only 1 number on the flight plan anyway. I am completely amazed at the attitude of today and single pilot IFR being such a bad thing. Even with the requirement of a functioning auto pilot I always hand spanked the approaches the only use of the auto pilot was to allow the paperwork to get done  >:D 

back to the fuel thingy

To land on the aux (or T/O) tanks in a HO is just not done. The fuel system is one of the worst ever and the only time you know how much fuel is on board is when the tanks are full. shitty range and piss poor design for the locker tanks as well (can't be used for actual IFR planning because they are unreliable).

Cessna made a far better light twin (took 3 models but finally) the 402C was a great little aircraft but as with all cabin class twins the most dangerous class of aircraft ever certified. For my old bones cabin class piston twins and any single engine aircraft should not be operated IFR or at night commercially, privately, OK , you choose your own fate but paying  passengers do get that concept and possibly have no choice. [/font][/b][/size]
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Kartoon link=topic=8859.msg24649#msg24649 date=1536486634]
What happen to the “mixture/Pitch/Power.... Crossfeedswitchtanksfuelpumps !? lol
[/quote]
It was overridden by, “Just cage the engine and don’t worry about the rest.  The runway is right there let’s land the thing.”
Colonel

At the risk of hurting more feelings ...

In an aircraft type-certificated for one pilot,
the guy in the right seat should really be
logging dual, to more accurately reflect what
is going on in the cockpit.