strange..

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Strega

I posted this on the other forum,, and I find it strange there are no replies...

Perhaps big pistons should watch the video,,,it might help him to deal with an engine failure without doing a split s

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107318

[youtube][/youtube]

Chuck Ellsworth

BPF is quiet these days.

Maybe his new job has something to do with it.
Slick Goodlin

I actually had a reply all typed up less than two minutes ago and was ready to post it but chose to bite my tongue instead.  I suspect others have done the same.

That reply, BTW, was about actually steering the thing too.  King may have said that elsewhere in the video but I only have a short clip with no other context as to where it all fits in.
ScudRunner-d95

Here is are a few shots of when I had to shut down the engine in the BN2.

Truth be told I noticed an oil leak when I came out to the plane in the morning, I cleaned her up inspected it and could find the source. I thought it may have just been hot and puked a bit out, so I did a run up and nothing showing. A little hair stood up on the back of my neck so I decided to do a circuit to double check, sure enough some oil started showing on the cowl.

So I was about 5 hours away from a 50 hour inspection down in YXY so I decided to top her up with oil and make the hop from Mayo to Pelly just to triple check before heading to YXY.

I headed off to Pelly and sure as shit when I leveled off I started to see the oil temp rise and could see some oil on the cowl. So time to shut her down, nice slow and methodical I secured the engine.

I then logged 2.0 hours Single engine time to YXY following the highway.

Turns out there was a "pinhole" leak in the oil cooler, I tell you what a "pin hole" sure can pump a lot of oil in short order.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slick Goodlin

I was asked via PM to elaborate on what I had deleted on the other forum and figured I may as well broadcast it to the world here.

Having a flow of the minimum actions in the event of an emergency is an excellent plan.  There may even be short vital action sections at the beginning of each checklist in your POH.  Just to bang off the quick stuff that's going to try and kill you and leave the rest for later, when your heart rate has slowed down.

Unfortunately, what they don't tell you (the unfortunate part is actually that some need to be told) is to FLY THE DAMN AIRPLANE.  I myself have unfortunately come across an awful lot of low time ATPLs who need to learn this.  The flying part is easy though, most is what you were doing right up to the engine failure: wings level and maintain altitude/speed.  The only other thing to add is the extra effort needed to keep the airplane in coordinated flight.  Uncoordinated flight produces excess drag and drag is the enemy of speed and climb rate (they're interchangeable, after all).  Get too low and you're in trouble, get too slow and you'll find yourself MUCH too low in short order.  The skid ball is your friend here, just step on the ball and realize that an engine failure on departure will probably take about all the rudder you can give.  You can also use your slip/skid ass cheeks but I find with an engine out the pucker kind of throws that one out of calibration so I go with the ball here.  Also note that if you let your speed decay much below Vxse (I'm ballparking here) then life will suck.  There's a good chance you'll have to descend in order to recover enough speed to climb.

In practicing engine failures, if you find things are going all to shit it's because you did it to yourself by letting the airplane get away from you.

Point is, all of the flows/rhythms/checklists/acronyms/prayer in the world won't save you if your plane is out of your control.  I'm sure that's in the video before the clip posted above, but I thought it would be worth stressing.
ScudRunner-d95

HPC wrote: Thanks for sharing scud, I guess you had time to snap a few pics  8)
Just a bit eh,  it gets your heart pumping a bit even when you anticipate it. Then you realize just add some trim and fly the thing, she was a bit of pig and slow but flew. I don't think I would have had as much fun if she was fully loaded, those published numbers are optimistic.
Chuck Ellsworth

My most interesting engine failure was just after take off from Mayo in the Yukon in cloud at night in a DC3.

Due to the weather and lack of an ILS in Mayo and the fact I was high enough to continue to Whitehorse I did so...

unfortunately ice fog brought Whitehorse to near zero zero as I was about to begin my approach, with no other airport in range I just concentrated on flying it and managed to land with basically zero zero in ice fog.