Tricycle cub.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:19 pm
There was an aftermarket conversion to Tri-gear for the original Piper Cubs marketed in the fifties. Some LSA school in the US added one to their fleet a couple years ago and were surprised to get a measurably shorter takeoff run. Anyone want to take a stab at why?
Colonel wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:05 am
No instructor would fly in it, so all flights were solo and lower gross weight?
Don’t you think all the instructors lined up to get type rated, since it has a nose wheel? I bet the check out was only about eight hours.

Then they could put Piper Cub in their log book and make it look like they flew something they kind of didn’t.

Slick Goodlin

For the record I’d fly the crap out of a tricycle Cub. I’d take it to Oshkosh and be the talk of the place all week. No one would be talking to me but about me is good enough, right?
Colonel

I dunno. Look at a tri-pacer PA-22 then look at a pacer PA-20. The difference is wild.

I know which one I'd fly, but I was dropped on my head as a small child and was threatened with death when I was 10 years old if I didn't master a Maule.

"If you don't do something soon, we're going to die" - use of the learning factor of intensity in flight training when training a 10 year old in 1973 to fly a Maule M4-210C at Toronto Island.

Of course, you could just fly one of these:
David MacRay

Those Cirrus and Ercoupes are the only planes I actively dislike. No rudder? Forget that! Those side yolks with the centering spring chap my flat old white guy butt.