South African Poacher Poachers

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

Think they’re hiring?

Colonel

Imagine all that lawn chair tubing bending and buckling when it fires .... and the recoil would almost certainly stall it.

Fun Fact: The Sabre could lose 50 knots of airspeed when you let all the BMG's go. Imagine you're in a very tight turn, right at CLmax to get some lead on the target ....

I remember landing a Challenger (?) ultralight on floats on the water, watching the tubing bend as the floats flapped up and down in the waves. Truly confidence-inspiring. It was actually an amphib. No brakes on wheels. If you wanted to stop, you pulled off the pavement to the grass on the side and sunk down into it.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 2:08 pm
a Challenger (?) ultralight
You must not have looked too close at the strut attach fittings if you got into the thing.
Colonel

They were crazy popular, back in the day. I think I even issued some ultralight pilot permits (?) at some point?
Slick Goodlin

I’m not denying they’re popular, just saying they’re structurally kind of spooky once you get up close. A few years back it seems there was a bunch of them losing wings in flight, which I think we can agree is bad.