Happy Eagle Day

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:36 pm
David MacRay wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:49 pm
I might have to go hangout with that guy. Though I’m not sure I can fit in his cub.
Just fly a Cub solo. The back seat is as roomy as a small airplane is going to get, like riding in a bathtub.
I have not tried climbing into a cub, the citabria at the flying club here is probably a similar size. I fit but, it’s not particularly what I would call “roomy”. I was not allowed to continue flying that because the instructor panicked when he found out I was the weight I thought I clearly said I was.

That guy in the videos seems to be doing dual, I not only don’t have certification in the US. I am not current in Canada. Perhaps I should come visit you. I suspect nobody else is going to lend* me a cub.

If I find one for a low enough price I might just find a small instructor. What I need is lots of spare money. There’s capable planes for straight tail and I to go zipping around in until he can sign me off for solo. They’re just a few more bucks than I’m authorized to spend at this time.

*secretly rent for cheap.

Colonel

You do not need to be a certificated pilot to receive dual instruction, though you can be. I believe this is the same both sides of the border.

The cub requires only one pilot and in the videos it is the old guy in the front seat. He has at least a commercial pilot certificate and I suspect is also a certified flight instructor and is signing off the required logbook endorsements for tailwheel.

Note that the cub in the video is not commercially registered as is required in Canada. No FTU OC or AOC is required in the USA. Any CFI that gets an airplane from anywhere can give flight instruction on it, which is totally illegal in Canada for reasons which have never been made clear to me. An old friend of mine had to recently surrender his FTU OC. He simply couldn't satisfy the government's demands.
David MacRay

As usual I worded that a bit poorly.

The reason I was thinking of hanging out with the guy in the video was similar to what you wrote. I can go flying with him and it would be perfectly acceptable because it is dual instruction.

I have done it in flight school C-172s a couple of times. Those were days I enjoyed.