Ye of little faith.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Doin_Time

My favourite comment in that one is the immediate response of "Nope..."

The next part should have been "pull up!".

Ah, well. Makes for a great video for CRM Trg.
digits

So what exactly happens here? I don't get the CRM/"nope"/ ... significance.
mcrit

Pilot flying asks pilot not flying if he thinks the helo will fit between two trees. PNF says "Nope" but lets PF do it anyway and they clip the trees.
Doin_Time

mcrit wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:27 pm
Pilot flying asks pilot not flying if he thinks the helo will fit between two trees. PNF says "Nope" but lets PF do it anyway and they clip the trees.
Nailed it.
Nark

There is slightly more to it than bad CRM.

CRM involves time to actually do something. By the time the PC asked and the PI answered “nope” there was hardly anytime to do much of anything. Flying in this type of environment requires reconnaissance and deliberate actions. The issue is that the PC (pilot flying/ instructor pilot) had flown this route before, and somewhat often. The problem though, was the last time he flew it, was fall/winter/early spring with no vegetation on the branches. Mother Nature being what she is, filled in the gap with leaves and branches, hence the guys comment “ye have little faith.”

I don’t know the pilot personally, however I still fly with a dude that was in his unit. His assessment of the guy was exactly why you’d think it would be: cocky and arrogant; this accident was inevitable.

Same with the accident in Destin, FL circa 2015, that killed 7 Marines and the 4 crew. The accident happened days earlier, but the deaths didn’t manifest until many hours later.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Doin_Time

Nark,

You are totally right. There is a lot more to this accident than just CRM. North of the 49th we use the term HPMA (Human Perf in Mil Aviation). We look at this one every few years; in addition to CRM we cover things like: expectancy, NVG limitations, personal traits, etc. It just seems that "civi side" the only thing anyone talks about is CRM. When going through ground school for an airline there was NO real discussion about Human Factors. Things like circadian rhythm, diet, and shifted time-zone ops were never touched.