How many here practice zero / zero landings?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

No it is not unfortunate it is downright criminal that that mindset is running flight training in Canada.

However the result is evident in the lack of flying skills needed to be issued a flight instructors rating by these morons.

Chuck Ellsworth

This was one of the better discussions that we have had on this site.

Can you imagine this being allowed on the other site.

Of course it can't happen because both the Colonel and me are banned from posting there. :mrgreen:
Chuck Ellsworth

The reason we have been banned from Avcanada Colonel is they are making sure their readers will be kept in ignorance of the art of flying. :mrgreen:
Colonel

I am a slow learner. It took me a while to learn that aviation in the 21st Century
isn't about flying. It's an expression of egalitarianism, political correctness, social
justice, cancel culture etc. You know, new age left-wing bullshit.

The new pushers of bullshit don't like us old dinosaurs, to whom competence in
flying is very important. The bad tempered children don't care about competence,
or safety. They don't care if they crash and die and kill themselves and their pax
and people on the ground, because they have more important considerations.

You and I got cancelled by incompetent @ssholes. Badge of honor, dude.
Chuck Ellsworth

One of the most important advantages of teaching zero/zero touchdowns from an ILS approach is the confidence one builds in the person being taught knowing they can do it with practice.

The only danger involved is if the teacher can't ensure they don't crash.
Colonel

Jesus, if the instructor can't handle a botched landing, I guess it's time to apply to TC to be an Inspector.

I have found many pilots, hand flying, have trouble below 500 feet as the LOC and esp the GS become
more sensitive. They are right at their limit at 200, and that's not good. You need to have a little bit
of skill left over, regardless of what the left-wing assclowns will tell you.

There are many ways to develop proficiency at this. One trick I used, is to learn to take it down to
100 hand-flown. If you can hand-fly to 100, 200 is not so hard. FAA even allows hand flown CAT II
approaches in part 91 category A aircraft with no special equipment. They used to, anyways.

Another trick I learned as an IFR instructor, is to do high-speed ILS's with the gear up. What a hoot.
At night, leave climb power on after you level off at PT altitude, and let the speed build. Crank
around, catch the LOC, and when the GS comes down, down you go, still with climb power set and
the airspeed builds. I like to see a couple hundred on the ASI. Needles are insanely sensitive. Down
we go to DH, still with climb power and we overshoot and zoom right back up to PT to do it again.

Great fun, and builds enormous skill in the student.

Another essential tool in teaching the ILS is a GCA or PAR or whatever the kids call it today. We used
to go to Trenton, and we would see a real pro - on the ground, not even a pilot - call out tiny heading
changes to the humbled pilot.

Most people overcontrol badly on the ILS. They swoop back and forth on the LOC, which makes me
grit my teeth. Another trick I taught, was after LOC intercept, to push on the rudder pedals to make
the GPS track the same as the inbound on the plate. If people would do that, the LOC needle would
not move.

Also, I wouldn't let them use bank to correct on the LOC. I would only let them use rudder, to force
them to make smaller corrections, like the GCA guy.

Anyways, the TrashCan Assholes think I can't fly, can't teach and can't earn money, and they're full
of shit on all three. They can all go fuck themselves.

Oh yeah, another trick I used to teach people to fly the ILS, was to wildly vary the airspeed after GS
intercept. Most people leave the power alone. Too easy. Throttle comes all the way back, onto the
back side of the power curve. Nose comes 'way up. Stall warning honks. Keep the needles in the donuts.
Then the throttle goes all the way forward and stays there, on the way to Vne. Better get that nose
down to keep the needles in the donuts, kid.

Builds character. With a decent headwind on final, you can get the GPS groundspeed into single digits
with the stall warning horn on, and the needles in the donuts. ATC is gonna be pissed if there's anyone
behind you, though.

This stuff is all so simple and basic, and a complete mystery to the obnoxious children that think
they invented aviation. What complete fucking idiots they are.

I used to think I was quite a lot of fun, as an instructor. Students would sometimes barf. I think
I worked them pretty hard, which means they got their money's worth. Freezer bags are cheap
and roll up tight.

Needles in the donuts. Airspeed Vref. I know, it's a lot to remember.
Chuck Ellsworth

Another essential tool in teaching the ILS is a GCA or PAR or whatever the kids call it today. We used
to go to Trenton, and we would see a real pro - on the ground, not even a pilot - call out tiny heading
changes to the humbled pilot.
Great skills builder.

Can you still get GCA / PAR today?
Nark

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Down south you can. I’ve done a handful.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
mcrit

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:58 pm
You can still get them in Trenton. Greenwood was still doing them, five of so years ago. Not sure about Comox.
mcrit

The talk of PARs reminds me of a funny story. There was a fellow going through flight training at the same time as me. He was a bit of a player. He parked his car in a different garage pretty much every weekend, and didn’t bother calling the garage owners the next day. So, he lands from a flight and comes back into the lounge.

Him: Any of you guys ever have a PAR controller ask for crew names?
Us: ***General looks of curiosity, confusion and head shaking****
Him: Mine just did, a bit after hand over. I think it was Mandy; Sounded like Mandy.
Somebody: Whose Mandy?
Him: Chick I picked up last week. She mentioned that she was a PAR controller. Either way, she just gave me the worst PAR ever; broke out 1000 abeam the button to the left and 400’ AGL.
Somebody: Guess you should have called her the morning after!