LOWER THE NOSE - TSB Report on SATC Seneca II crash report at YBW

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

[url=https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... ercise-tsb]https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... ercise-tsb[/url]

[quote]The Transportation Safety Board (TSB) released its report this week on the fatal training accident that claimed two lives last year near Calgary’s Springbank airport (CYBW). Both the flight instructor and his student were killed in the October 26, 2017 accident.

The accident aircraft, a Piper PA-34-300T (Seneca II), was used by Springbank Air Training College (SATC) for multi-engine training.

after reaching [b]80[/b] KCAS, the Seneca lifted off from Runway 17 and retracted its gear. The aircraft reached [b]90 [/b]KCAS at about 15 seconds after takeoff, the maximum speed it obtained during the flight.

... a simulated left-engine-failure was undertaken ...

The maximum altitude the Piper reached was 250 feet AGL, at about 40 seconds after takeoff, at which point [size=14pt][u]the airspeed had decreased to [b]70[/b] KCAS[/u][/size].

Approximately 70 seconds after takeoff, the Seneca rolled to the left and entered a steep, descending left turn to the ground[/quote]

A Vmc demo.  Likely trying to follow TC's silly engine failure procedure, which killed them both.

See "meatball multi-engine takeoff".  And for the love of sweet Baby Jesus,

[size=18pt]LOWER THE NOSE[/size]

ScudRunner-d95

I just read that and posted to the FB page.

When I was doing my initial multi about 20 years ago the SOP was any simulated engine failures where conducted at altitude for safety sake.
I even recall a student and the instructor coming back and landing with one caged as they couldn't bring it out of feather to restart. Heck of a good lesson for him and instructor alike.

I just can't see pulling one that low and slow in an initial training environment at an airport 3600 ASL.
Don't get me wrong, i still love V1 cut days in the sim and honestly look forward to "playing" with the plane every year on course, but im the weird guy who wears a sweater in there because I get cold.

I just think there is a far better way to learn that skill.
Colonel

Pulling engines immediately after takeoff requires a LOT of instructor skill,
knowledge and judgement.

And let's face it, today's instructors just aren't up for that.  Heck, as Chuck
keeps pointing out, a class 1 (most senior) instructor can't fly a light tailwheel
trainer.  They certainly don't have the stick and rudder skill to perform a real
engine cut after takeoff, so it's best they don't try.

Of course, this raises the unpleasant point that these instructors and their
students are dead meat if anything goes wrong, but that's nothing new.

See the Sunwing clowns and their part-throttle takeoff.  Push the buttons
and hope for the best.  Aviation in the 21st century, where pilots are just
passengers that are wearing uniforms.