Should I buy this and look for a partner with a hangar near me?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

Also worth asking, is that Champ for sale certified?  The price seems low for the condition (could be a seasonal thing since most would park it for the next six months) which has me wondering if it's registered under Owner Maintenance or if it's been previously rebuilt as an Amateur Built.  Both of those conditions can be perfectly fine, and I'm a big fan of homebuilt Champs as a means of cutting a ton of BS and cost, but either one is well worth understanding what's involved.

Colonel

I am definately waiting until I get my Cat 3 back
A better question would be, are you safe to fly?  If you think so,
you should go flying.  A piece of paper does not make you a safe
pilot.

Back to Your New Airplane (tm) ....

I would be interested in checking the wooden wing spars for cracks,
and the lower fuselage tubes for corrosion.  Again, paper isn't as
important as real world condition.
David MacRay

I can't see out the bottom part of my eye because of the gas they injected in it. I get to wear a pretty blue bracelet until it is absorbed or whatever.

I suspect my eye won't burst but it could get buggered ( possible medical term ) if I fly.

Once the opthamologist clears me I hope Transport gives me back a Cat 3. If they don't maybe I'll have to consider my next move.
David MacRay

Ok so we know I'm crazy. (unless you have not been paying attention. Tough to imagine with all this "look at me." type of posting.)

I am also still wearing a bracelet because I can't even drive in the mountains until the gas injected in my eye disapates, seriously that is actually written on it. I can see the bubble and it's getting small so eventually it will happen. Then we will see what transport thinks of giving me a new Cat. 3.

Often when I go to fly something prevents it. Usually WX.

So as much as that champ would be one of the most rewarding things I could buy and force me to fly better. I'm wondering if I should just carry on with the mighty 172. I can take the wife plus more importantly my canines and full tanks to go anywhere WX permits. If I could afford it plus send my daughter for an education, yeah that's happening soon. Then her brother might go too...
I would for sure buy a C-182 and a nice hangar in YBW. Or possibly one in the US I could live in.

Does anyone know approximately how much weight a Champ will handle with full fuel? I might not even be able to safely take my wife flying in one. My dog doesn't like dog food, he is skinny and he's even sixty pounds. The tiny bitch is mostly muscle and she's over 20 pounds. There is nothing light around here.

I keep fighting with ten pounds instead of losing the last fifty or so to get closer to 200. As the kids are writing these days FML. That's the thing for when you have it really good but you want to bitch because you want $7 billion and an airplane I think.
Colonel

how much weight a Champ will handle
Depends on the engine and prop.
DeflectionShot

I am also still wearing a bracelet because I can't even drive in the mountains until the gas injected in my eye disapates, seriously that is actually written on it. I can see the bubble and it's getting small so eventually it will happen. Then we will see what transport thinks of giving me a new Cat. 3.

Don't forget category four medical - you can downgrade to a recreational permit. Not ideal since you can't fly outside Canada but it's better than nothing. Although as CS noted it's about really whether you safe to fly or not.
Nark1

Dave:

You should buy a 1947 Stinson 108-1, perhaps serial number 3100...

Colonel

If you do, I'll throw in one of these:

... and if you buy the Champ in the next 15 minutes,
I'll toss this in, too:

Napoleon So Low

Colonel Sanders wrote:... and if you buy the Champ in the next 15 minutes, I'll toss this in, too:
... because we can't do this all day... holy shit, CS has become the Sham Wow guy!
David MacRay

One would think I would be much more into bacon than I am. I won't lie I like two pieces over cooked sometimes. Particularly with some tomato in a toasted sandwich. I can go much longer without it than beef and lately I have been choosing chicken more often.

Honestly I love a good salad with lots of crisp chopped veggies. Just not often enough over other choices.

I was not tempted by a spark-plug tray until that picture. Who doesn't love high quality fun tools and equipment?

Maybe I should get an apartment near Nark's Stinson or a good shop that works on engines. Hang around try to be helpful and a go-for.