Memorial Day

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

I had wanted to say Happy Memorial Day to our American members by I’m not sure that’s quite the right word to use.  Not that it can’t be a happy one, or even that it shouldn’t be, it’s just that the holiday is there to observe the highest sacrifice of some for the lifestyles of the rest.

However you’re observing this Memorial Day, I hope you’re enjoying the hard-earned freedom to do so and remembering where it came from.

Nark1

Sir, I thank you for your well wishes.

It's been an honor to serve in the US armed forces, as well as alongside the Canadian Forces. Those who have sacrificed so much, in order for those back home not to.

Slick Goodlin

Help me out Nark, what was the right word to use?  What kind of Memorial Day should I be wishing people?
Nark1

Sorry slick, I really don't know.  I've thought about it myself, and like you "Happy Memorial Day" doesn't seem appropriate.  However it's widely used down here.

I don't take offense, nor do any of my homeboys. 

Slick Goodlin

Fair point.

I thought it might have been like how a common term used is ‘winning’ a military medal.  IIRC you don’t win those, they awarded to you.  In any case, hope you and yours had an awesome BBQ this weekend.