Ottawa Flying club

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Trey Kule

i saw on CBC this morning that OFC is facing shutting down due to a lack of instructors.  The whole industry was mentioned as seeing this shortage....and....

The industry is reaching out to retired airline pilots to become instructors....

My personal take...to the flight training industry.

1.  Retired does not equate to stupid.
2.  Retired does not include a willingness to work for less than minimum wages, for a for-profit company.
3.  You have gotten away with paying instructors less than living wages,  piece meal pay, 70 hour work weeks.
4.  What  I see is reaching out to retirees is less about the experience level
, than it is the hope they “ dont need the money” and so will work under the present conditions and pay.

Aint going to happen folks.  Start managing your businesses better. Take responsability for keeping your instructors busy.  And pay a decent wage....
And do a favor to your students..charge more. But give quality instruction, not simply just charging more.
6 hours of instruction a day..including briefings, and 1.5 hours for preparation, paperwork etc, is enough for any instructor.  After that it is just running the meter.
FTU’s job then if to make sure the instructors are kept busy.  Instructing....not doing free office or ramp work.

To retirees.  Please. Dont enable this behavior.  There are soaring clubs, the air cadet league of Canada, musuems , and organizations that will welcome your experience. 

Daily rant...out

Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Trey Kule link=topic=7793.msg21637#msg21637 date=1516032093]6 hours of instruction a day..including briefings, and 1.5 hours for preparation, paperwork etc, is enough for any instructor.
[/quote]
What do they do for money if the weather sucks that day?  I would propose it's better to offer the position as 40 hours a week for the school doing jobs as assigned.  The instructing itself is what generates revenue so would naturally be in the school's favor to do as much as possible, but on those days when instructing isn't possible then the school should have every right to employ a team of very expensive janitors.
vanNostrum

Won't shed a tear if the OFC closes
It stopped been a flying club many years ago
It is just Algonquin College puppy mill
Colonel

The irony. 

For decades, industry has been telling instructors how useless they are,
and how every professional pilot climbed out of the womb with his ATR
in one hand, and a logbook with 10,000TT in the other.
Chuck Ellsworth

Get rid of the need for a FTU-OC and all the B.S. paper work and dealing with the drones at TC and let private enterprise improve the training industry.

Trey Kule

Slick wrote
[font=Verdana]What do they do for money if the weather sucks that day?  I would propose it's better to offer the position as 40 hours a week for the school doing jobs as assigned.  The instructing itself is what generates revenue so would naturally be in the school's favor to do as much as possible, but on those days when instructing isn't possible then the school should have every right to employ a team of very expensive janitors.[/font]

[font=Verdana]I am ok with that as well....subject to the following.[/font]
[font=Verdana]1.  The instructors are getting paid..that is something that is not happening under the present “ pay only when you fly” or $200 a month basic salary system..[/font]
[font=Verdana]Right now, I have been told instructors at some schools are expected to provide all sorts of service to the school for no pay.  That is not right,[/font]

[font=Verdana]Chuck...I agree. The US part 62 (?) system seems to work very well, but it is kind of being beaten up by the 142 folks..[/font]
ScudRunner-d95

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=7793.msg21651#msg21651 date=1516057988]
Get rid of the need for a FTU-OC and all the B.S. paper work and dealing with the drones at TC and let private enterprise improve the training industry.
[/quote]

Agree with you 100% on this one Chuck. Correct me if I am wrong but don't our neighbors to the south perform the wizardry of instruction in such a manner?
Chuck Ellsworth

Yes the FAA allows licensed flight instructors to teach people to fly.

Transport Canada does not.