Industry Insanity

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Trey Kule

A great idea.

Does an intelligent discussion preclude calling people  sithead or fuckface or princess?
Does it preclude clumping every airline pilot in the world as a four  bars and using the term in a condescending manner.

Got all but the sac.  Tried to buy them on line but they are all labeled sick sacks.  Is SAC a brand name for a particularily good barf bag.  I am willing to upgrade on your reccommendation from my usual brand.

Btw.  I am just funning with you CS.  Try not to take things quite so seriously.  Go for a ride on your bike and enjoy life..

Lots of people here that can discuss aviiation topics quite intelligentally if they do not have to be continually put down for choosing a particular speciality in aviation.

JW Scud

You are correct Chuck but the reality is that[size=1em] e[font=verdana]ngineering is way overrated(by the engineers of course). A bunch of little preppy boys learning some theories and partying. They think they are smart because they hang a car from a bridge yet once again as seen here:[/font][/size]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ai ... Flight_811]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ai ... Flight_811[/url]

"the NTSB determined that the probable cause of the accident was the sudden opening of the cargo door, which was attributed to improper wiring and deficiencies in the door's design."

Once again, some four bars has to save the day from another partying-preppie-boy engineer who couldn't design his way out of a paper bag. Too bad about the passengers who got sucked through the engine. Four bars have dying and heroically saving lives from faulty engineering designs since the dawn of aviation while preppie boy engineers are at home looking at the Pamela Anderson page.
Liquid Charlie

[font=arial black][size=small]I'm thinking they need to follow the USA. Fuck the airlines and let them suffer a bit. There will be a lag but it will catch up and it forces the qualification levels up. Right now it seems the "theme" is a large hangover from the good old days. All you need in the right seat is a warm body. There needs to be a "filter" in place so at least right seat 705/121 F/O's are at least shaving or having a monthly cycle (depending on gender) -- ATPL is a good place to start. [/size][/font]

[font=arial black][size=small] I spoke to a couple of "insiders" and also part of the issue is attracting new people into the industry. The dirty little secret is out. The salaries and life style suck. People are now passing the pilot career on and making different choices. Maybe even engineers -- lmfaoooo [/size][/font]

[font=arial black][size=small]I see these young guys everyday and all are swooning over jazz and encore. I just shake my head. I can't think of a more painful life. Short legs (not even short haul in my mind) eastern sea board and shit wx with multiple ups and downs in a duty day. Pure heaven all because they want to sit long haul at the level one to be jet lagged and bombarded with radiation at high altitude. [/size][/font]

[font=arial black][size=small]Most in aviation today make a truck driver's wage, so why waist a university education on that.  [/size][/font]
Trey Kule

I think maybe there are a couple issues here.  TC is not known for being proactive if it would upset the 705 folks, so I do not expect them to act until, we unfortunately have some accidents attibutable to this issue. And some innocent lives are lost.  Then expect a knee jerk reaction.

Also, it will take time for the new 250 hour pilots to move to a command position, so maybe, by then, they will have gotten the necessary experience.  That is the hope.

In the meantime we may see more remedial traing, upset courses etc., to keep the basic flying skills up.

As an aside, last Friday I had the opportunity to review an incident report where the root cause was entirely a lack of experience on the FOs part , who at the time was the PF.  It had an unevetful ending thanks to the Captain recognizing the problem and resolving it a timely manner.  And the fI is a smart young man, who I believe will not make the mistake again.  But I wonder how many other FOs are out there who have the same problem, and will not get the opportunity to safely see it resolved, and will slip into the left seat, where the end result could be much different if their FO makes the mistake.  Training programs can simply not cover every posdible situatiin.

JW Scud

[quote author=Trey Kule link=topic=6960.msg18899#msg18899 date=1504496929]
As an aside, last Friday I had the opportunity to review an incident report where the root cause was entirely a lack of experience on the FOs part , who at the time was the PF.  It had an unevetful ending thanks to the Captain recognizing the problem and resolving it a timely manner.  And the fI is a smart young man, who I believe will not make the mistake again.  But I wonder how many other FOs are out there who have the same problem, and will not get the opportunity to safely see it resolved, and will slip into the left seat, where the end result could be much different if their FO makes the mistake.  Training programs can simply not cover every posdible situatiin.
[/quote]

[size=2]
[font=verdana]You could let us know what happened and prevent an incident right here on this very thread.[/font][/size]
Colonel

Not sure I understand the purpose of having two pilots.

Is it so one of them can receive dual flight instruction?
Trey Kule

Yep, that pretty much seems the case for many new hires these days...they call it "mentoring"

JW. i have a confidentiality agreement which limits what I can post, as far as details.
But your suggestion is a good one.  Give me a couple of days, as I think it might be some help to some.