Piper Turbo Arrow

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

Anyone have any real experience with the Turbo Arrow's the III or IV?  I know the reputation is the engines but reading around about them it seams if your not ham fisted nor try run them around at max power all day they can actually be a great little family plane.

I have flown the Arrow II quiet a bit and love the roomy cabin, useful load, nice panel layout. Just asking because living in YYC I would have to deal with density altitude.

By comparison I was reading up on Mooney 231, looks like a great plane but I hate sitting on the floor and the panel just doesn't do it for me. Yes they are quicker than a Turbo Arrow but not that much and they go for around 120K vs 80-90K.

Strega

you need to upgrade the wastegate... the original turbo setup is crap.

Otherwise they are a great aircraft, and the baby 6 is smoooooooth.

David MacRay

Strega! How's it going?

Tell him he needs a nice Cherokee six. So he can lend it to me to go fishing or take me and my bicycle on quick trips for tasty burgers etc. I can even wash, wax and do the dirty parts of maintenance under direct supervision of his ame.
ScudRunner-d95

Just don't spray the hose in the  static ports and we will be cool. Noted about the waste gate, you read half the stuff out there you would think they fall out of the sky in flames daily.

Always funny though the speed mods available, you would think Piper would encorporate those into the new production ones.
David MacRay

I can work red electrical tape. I'll even write remove before flight on it if you want.  O0
Barneydhc82

Hi Neil:  While working in Regina, I got the Piper dealership and demonstrated the Turbo Arrow IV for quite a few hours.  It as a very nice aircraft and you described it well..comfortable and relatively fast..145 Kts if I remember.

Go for it!

Barney