Fatal Sundridge, Ont., plane crash likely due to troubled landing attempt: report

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
anofly

Sadly I know , and know of, far too many airshow pilots that have been killed in aircraft .

Colonel

Over on TrashCan, I got shit on for observing about a 5% yearly fatality rate amongst airshow pilots.

Keep in mine that airshow pilots take on a LOT more risk - routinely and every day - than say four bars,
who fly the same route straight and level over and over again.

But an airshow pilot keeps rolling the dice, over and over,
day after day .... remember, the safest pilot is one whom avoids risk to the point of never flying at all -
what we refer to as the Trivial Solution in mathematics - all zeroes. But that lacks utility.

I might humbly observe that because there is NO training for airshow pilots - but plenty for airline pilots -
it is not particularly surprising that new airshow pilots often don't live very long. See World War One and
the life expectancy of biplane pilots, who received very little applicable training. Same same.

What I find interesting is the fatalities amongst the highly experienced airshow pilots. Those are the interesting
lessons. One could ponder the Convergence of the Central Limit Theorem at this point.

Fun Fact: Arlo Speer did everything he could, to stop the training of new airshow pilots. Thanks Arlo!
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
anofly

airline flying is done to move people and goods, but more importantly to make money . It is done in a way that really reduces risk. I fully understand most airshow pilots are there to entertain. Some of them are there to show other air show pilots what they can do.
I used to be crazy about airshows, not so much now that I have seen the years of loss.
I am neither an airshow pilot, or a 4 bar. Just a GA guy that really enjoys being in the air, and looking after an airplane. 42 yrs flying now.. so far not a scratch, but a few mistakes along the way, but no bent metal....
I would love a few hours in a citabria with the Colonel...