Taylorcraft Wrecked

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Slick Goodlin

This has been going around Facebook recently:

Think it’s real or was it on purpose for the clicks? On one hand you can see a pretty decent looking road or river bed (or both?) under the plane in the video that he just sort of ignores, but on the other hand it seems like a pretty shitty place to intentionally jump out.

TundraTire

Sure seems staged.
Nark

He encouraged me to wear a chute at work.

The flight attendants seem a little concerned, but I showed them this video, and now say “yeah that seems staged, too.”
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Big Pistons Forever

That’s hard to watch. This moron deliberately wrecked a perfectly good airplane just so that he could be a YouTube star for 15 minutes. It’s just wrong :(
David MacRay

Ruh roh. Youtube guys are asking some questions about this. There’s some interesting stuff in my opinion. Also that’s a great paint scheme on Scooby’s plane.

Colonel

There is stuff that you know, and stuff that you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

It is important to not conflate the two.

The irony is not lost on me, that you lose your pilot certificate for turning off your
transponder, but not intentionally crashing an airplane.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
David MacRay

What if the plane you crash has no registration, whatever the FAA equivalent of a CofA is, or insurance?

Conjecture of course, they have no evidence of such accusations.
Nark

Dave:

Spit balling here:
Every aircraft has a certificate of Airworthiness. That stays with the plane, issued at manufacture.
Certificate of Registration changes each time a new owner acquires it. Transferable at the sale. You require 2 documents to send to the FAA: bill of sale and C of R.

To answer your query: I would hazard a guess, through serial # they would trace the crashed plane back to the owner and levy a hefty fine.

I thought about this when I sold my Stinson years ago. The new owner failed to send in the C of R in a timely manner (I believe it’s 90 days, but could be off). I called the FAA and asked about that, since I was the “current owner” in the database. (What if guy did something reckless? Would they come after me?) The bill of sale would have saved my ass, since it has signatures and a date on it.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
David MacRay

Oops, the annual and other inspections are recorded in the logs. Not sure why I was thinking about the C of A being a certificate issued every year like the insurance.

I was referring to a rumour the plane might not have been sold as airworthy. Someone was also talking about a paper you can see that is taped to the cabin near the wing root. No idea what it is.

There is plenty of speculation, more videos every day. The whole thing is interesting and a bit peculiar.
Nark

It was pointed out that the dude has fire extinguishers secured to his legs as he jumped out.

Probably smart enough to know how many years in prison he’s face if he started a fire….
(You get more years in prison starting a wild fire than diddling kids. It’s a fucking shame)
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com