I predict a worldwide shortage of pilots

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

No, really. Stop laughing. Thousands - perhaps tens of thousands - of pilots will lose their medicals in the next few years, and the ongoing testing will be onerous.

Wait for it. Mark the date. 4 Nov 2021.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
digits

Is something changing with regards to medicals?
Slick Goodlin

Because of that sketch-looking whistle blower report from the USAF doctor?
Squaretail

Meanwhile though, the flight schools are still cranking out students to beat the band. Many haven't slowed down since before the economic downturn. As usual, there will be a shortage of skilled, experienced pilots.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

Squaretail wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 pm
there will be a shortage of skilled, experienced pilots.
That’s what training is for. When I was screwed for skilled and experienced pilots a few years ago I did the only thing I could: I made them.
TundraTire

Single-pilot and no-pilot airliners will solve the "crisis".
TwinOtterFan

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:33 am
Squaretail wrote:
That’s what training is for. When I was screwed for skilled and experienced pilots a few years ago I did the only thing I could: I made them.
Whoa, are you saying you used proper leadership and you mentored subordinates? If your free, I know a bunch of officers and Sargents that need to see how this works.
Squaretail

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:33 am
Squaretail wrote:
If there are no rabbits, you can't make more rabbits. Training makes skilled pilots, but not experienced pilots. Only time and activity does that.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Big Pistons Forever

In December 2019 there was absolutely a shortage. In almost 4 decades of commercial flying I have never seen guys going straight from a C 172 to an RJ or Dash 8 with 250 hours. AC fall 2019 bid was almost 800 pilots short and the anyone with any real experience was upgrading at the regionals in less than a year,.

COVID stopped the merry go round but flying is going to come back, only there has been a wave of early retirements at the top of the seniority list and a lot of zero to hero young FO’s that have moved on to new careers and are not going back to junior FO.

Early 2023 if you have a CPL/ME IFR and a pulse you are going to be beating off the airline recruiters

The really sad part is the 703 operators are going to be screwed. They need guys and gals that can actually fly the airplane and make good decisions on their own and in real time…
TwinOtterFan

This crazy plan of mine may just work out yet then!