I predict a worldwide shortage of pilots

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

Squaretail wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:09 am
Slick Goodlin wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:33 am
Squaretail wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 pm
there will be a shortage of skilled, experienced pilots.
That’s what training is for. When I was screwed for skilled and experienced pilots a few years ago I did the only thing I could: I made them.
If there are no rabbits, you can't make more rabbits. Training makes skilled pilots, but not experienced pilots. Only time and activity does that.
Fair enough, but I can foster skill and then the experience starts to build itself.

digits

Squaretail wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:09 am
Training makes skilled pilots, but not experienced pilots. Only time and activity does that.
Experience is the difference between reality and training.
If you train people properly, experience becomes much less important.

Experience also often has a slightly illegal component: "this is what they taught you and what we should do, but this is what we actually do, and they can't tell you that in a class room because technically we're not supposed to do so".
JW Scud

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:40 am
The really sad part is the 703 operators are going to be screwed. They need guys and gals that can actually fly the airplane and make good decisions on their own and in real time…

But they were never willing to give someone a very nice schedule beating the airlines.

Month on, month off might just attract some.

The sad part is they can't bring themselves to do it.

Try offering something the airlines don't have. There is a reason people leave the Pickle Lakes of the world.
Slick Goodlin

JW Scud wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:52 am
Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:40 am
The really sad part is the 703 operators are going to be screwed. They need guys and gals that can actually fly the airplane and make good decisions on their own and in real time…

But they were never willing to give someone a very nice schedule beating the airlines.

Month on, month off might just attract some.

The sad part is they can't bring themselves to do it.

Try offering something the airlines don't have. There is a reason people leave the Pickle Lakes of the world.
I’m with a 703 right now working week on/week off and making just under $100k for my troubles. They’re not all tied for the worst.
Nark

How do you attract people to stay?
Pay then more, give them time off to enjoy their earnings, and lastly don’t force them in to a corner to earn that paycheck.

Three simple ideas that a lot of 702/703 operators seem to ignore.

Man alive I miss those 20 hour days in Stony Rapids fueling the Metro when the wind is blowing so hard it rips the windsock off, and the temp is a blustery -40. Gotta love those real life science lessons!
I can’t remember but I think I was earning $1500/month, gross.

My life is horrible right now with 18 days off a month, and a paycheck that affords me the lifestyle I choose. No boiler to stoke, no trees to harvest to feed that boiler for the 8 months long winter. Driving a fuel truck down hill to the seaplane base…without brakes.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

the 8 months long winter
Between the endless winter and the bugs ... you have to ask yourself:

Does life have to be this hard?

I haven't seen snow or ice or bugs in years. Must be something wrong with me, but I don't miss them.

I don't even own a car (or truck) any more.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Big Pistons Forever

The trick is to live in a place where preparing for winter driving conditions means you should consider putting the top up :D
Colonel

That's a good start, but I can't handle the endless rain and cloud of the northwest. Must be an aging thing.
On average, there are 284 sunny days per year in Los Angeles. Seattle averages 152 sunny days per year.

Los Angeles averages 0 inches of snow per year. Seattle averages 4.6 inches of snow per year
Christmas Day:

I think this was January - had a bite at the restaurant overlooking the 18th green at Pebble Beach.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.