light helicopters.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

Was killing time thinking about light helicopters and got to thinking about the R22 versus the Hughes 300.

When I owned a flight school I had an R22 for helicopter training.

I seldom ever flew it myself because I didn't like the thing, I bought it because I thought it would be a better choice cost wise.

If I had it to do all over I would choose the Hughes 300 because it is a far better machine and far nicer to fly.

Anyone here have an opinion about these machines?

Nark

I have opinions, but are they valid?

The Robbies are fine enough. There are thousands of them for a reason, just like the cirrus. There are certainly better platforms out there, for sure.

It takes a special kind of aircraft to get an SFAR (Special Federal Aviation Regulation) for the type. MU-2 comes to mind as well.

If I had the desire to get a 2 place heli, I’d look at the Hughes ahead of the Robby-22. The Robby has too many funky AD’s and life limited parts.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I am no rotary wing expert, but I found the R44 a whole lot easier to fly than the R22.

The R22 is sort of a nasty practical joke. R44 is more expensive, but a much better
trainer IMHO.

I know they're cheap, but I'm not really fond of either one.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Chuck Ellsworth

When I flew for Project Okavanga in Africa we had a MI 8 as a camera ship, during the many months we were filming Africa I got to fly it on several occasions and it was a very impressive machine.
Colonel

Yeah, I know the bigots like to sh1t on the iron curtain stuff, but
I have found some of it to be very impressive, in many regards.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.