Rockwell Commander 690 down at YQT

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
TwinOtterFan

I'm not sure if this was skipped on purpose, my apologies if it was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6143338

Colonel

A B-17 did something similar recently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Boei ... ress_crash
The final NTSB report was released on April 13, 2021, and cited pilot error as the likely cause—noting in particular,

"The B-17 could likely have overflown the approach lights and landed on the runway had the pilot kept the landing gear retracted and accelerated to 120 mph until it was evident the airplane would reach the runway."—with inadequate maintenance as a contributing factor
The irony is that while pilots are certain that more engines increases safety, in fact
the more engines you have, the more likely you are to suffer an engine failure, and
to not deal as well with it, as in a single.

Lower the nose
Do up your shoulder harness

It's really not that complicated.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Slick Goodlin

I don’t believe the early statement about the request to return is true. I haven’t listened to the ATC recording but I’ve heard the time between their takeoff on 12 and demise on 07 was just a couple seconds. I don’t think ending up on a runway was intentional, it sounds more like it was coincidentally there and wasn’t going to matter either way.
Colonel

the time between their takeoff on 12 and demise on 07 was just a couple seconds
I think you're saying they did the old EFATO & Vmc demo?

Tradition sure is a big thing in aviation.

This is really not a big surprise. Most pilots can barely fly a single. They are in serious trouble
in a twin if anything breaks. Like a 200TT pilot in an R22. His first real auto will kill him.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:58 pm
I think you're saying they did the old EFATO & Vmc demo?
I’d like to think it was something more obscure but yeah, it sure looks a lot like that.

If true, what incredibly awful luck to have an engine give up within a second either side of Vr. If you believe in a higher power, he’s apparently a spiteful sim instructor.
Colonel

This isn't just a piston twin problem. King Air, anyone?

Pilots don't control yaw very well. This is true in both singles and twins.
A plane crash at Addison Airport that killed 10 people in June 2019 was caused by pilot error, the National Transportation Safety Board said in their final report on the crash published Tuesday.

The agency said that "after the left engine lost almost all thrust several seconds after takeoff, the pilot responded to the emergency with left rudder input, the opposite action of what the emergency called for."

By the time the pilot applied right rudder seconds later, the NTSB said, "the airplane was rolling inverted, and there was insufficient altitude for recovery."

NTSB investigators said that had the pilot initially applied the right rudder, the airplane would have been controllable.
Tell me again how more engines is safer. If that guy had a single and lost power, the nose
would lower and he could land straight ahead.

And, only stupid old pilots that fly stupid old taildraggers need to worry about yaw.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

TwinOtterFan wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:08 pm
I'm not sure if this was skipped on purpose, my apologies if it was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6143338

Not skipped I missed that, always feel free to post news like this.
Good news or bad news, its aviation we need to keep reminding everyone that fate is the hunter and everyone is trying to kill you including yourself.

Its tough to see those images but the TSB will do their good work and issue a report.

Gentlemen please bear in mind that a fellow aviator is dead and his family and friends are grieving their loss.

Thinking of the guys I chatted with from MAG aero last summer in Dryden today.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

It would be nice to try to prevent these kinds of accidents.

Ten years ago, frustrated by repeated accidents, year after year, I wrote this:

It's been proven to save lives. TC hates it. Quality flight training isn't important in Canada, and that has consequences.

I wrote this a quarter century ago, if anyone is interested in learning more:

www.avweb.com/features_old/flying-a-mul ... -airplane/
JW Scud

There is some interesting info in there about the scenario where one is past gear up but below 500 feet. Hand is already on the prop controls ready to feather based on yaw direction. Worth reading and considering. Skip the Mixture, pitch, power, gear up, flaps up calls and go straight to the feather based on yaw direction with left yaw-left feather, right yaw-right feather. as time is too critical to waste. Simultaneously pitch down to level flight.
John Swallow

If the NTS (Negative Torque System) was on and functional, there would be no panic to feather the engine. However, if the NTS was not selected on or indeed, had failed, the pilot would have had his work cut out for him if the engine failed at lift off or shortly after. I don't know how fast the aircraft will roll in such a situation, but I do know that a failed NTS check on start up is a 'NO GO' item...