Rockwell Commander 690 down at YQT

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Slick Goodlin

Is the NTS system actually selectable on some -331 installations? That’s insane.

John Swallow

Slick: does the NTS switch have an off position?

That I don't know. I can't find a picture of the overhead panel and the check list only says "Depress and hold".

J
digits

John Swallow wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:44 pm
Slick: does the NTS switch have an off position?

That I don't know. I can't find a picture of the overhead panel and the check list only says "Depress and hold".

J
The depress and hold is to test the NTS. As far as I know, there is no switch to disable the NTS on a Commander (or Metro).
The NTS system is a mechanical system. I highly doubt one electrical switch could disable it.
John Swallow

Digits:

Merci..

John
Liquid_Charlie

From all reports there was a loss of control and at that point in the flight there has to be some sort of catastrophic failure. It's been a long time since I flew a 690 but flying 100% engines like the 690 and the herc prop failures is always the most complicated failure to deal with. To me a failure with no NTS or feather and likely a windmilling prop could cause this kind of accident. I doubt he even knew what was happening and at that point just there for the ride. Very tragic and a pilot's worst nightmare. I certainly hope the causes are found out and used to help prevent a repeat.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"