Resumes and the current job market.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

What are you getting for that 27%?
Fauci used our taxes to fund gain of function medical warfare research in Wuhan.

Taxpayer money well spent?

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:01 pm
Elon Musk paid over us eleven billion dollars in income taxes in just 2021. I think it was more taxes than anyone else has ever paid.

Is he paying his “fair share”?
Probably not. Elon is also probably the biggest beneficiary of suckling at the government teat. Space-X wouldn't exist if it wasn't for government contracts. Tesla currently has hundreds of lawsuits - all of which get handled in courts and a legal system that the rest of us pay for. How many times have you used the court system? I've never been to court, but that's a play toy for the ultra wealthy that we all pay for. The government heavily funded the development of the internet, which arguably the big tech giants benefit the most from - which includes the CEO of Twitter.

If you're sourcing the same article about Elon's taxes, it sounds more like he didn't pay tax on some stock options for a long time, and then the bill came due. So a lump sum at once sounds like he probably gained on that in the first place.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/20/elon-mu ... -year.html

If Elon is as smart as you think, remember he played that to his advantage, including making people like you come to his defense.

To quote that article.

"Earlier this year, ProPublica published an investigation showing Musk and several other billionaires paid no federal income taxes in 2018.

Between 2014 and 2018, Musk paid $455 million in taxes on $1.52 billion of income, according to ProPublica, despite his wealth growing by $13.9 billion over that period."

If that's accurate, then that means his tax rate was but 3.34%. Don't you wish you had that deal? Try not to feel too sorry for him.

Additionally from the same article:

"Earlier this year, ProPublica published an investigation showing Musk and several other billionaires paid no federal income taxes in 2018."

Don't you wish you had that deal? Was he paying his fair share then?

As I said, its the people who derive most of their wealth from generating an income are the ones most unfairly taxed. And you and I both belong in that group. Probably everyone here.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

That’s not how income taxes work. You swallowed the hook, and the line, and even the sinker.

You pay taxes on what your employer pay’s you. This is something like how 95% of us proletariat’s live.

Or you pay taxes on capital gains. That is only paid if you cash out on investments.

If you make $13 billion with your company , and don’t pull out (sell shares) you don’t pay tax on that. Your company pays taxes, but you as the owner (shareholder) don’t pay.

There is a reason millionaires/billionaires don’t pay much taxes. They tend not to own things, or spend money on things. Their company’s sure do though…
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I’m puzzled that people conflate individuals and corporations. With respect to taxes, they are separate entities.

I might own shares in General Motors but we are not the same thing.
Doin_Time

This thread has come a long way from: Resumes and the current job market!
Colonel

Well, as Ferris Bueller said in 1985, the internet moves fast and we have to try to keep up.
Squaretail

Nark wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:58 pm
That’s not how income taxes work. You swallowed the hook, and the line, and even the sinker.
You're missing my point, but then you get it as well...

You pay taxes on what your employer pay’s you. This is something like how 95% of us proletariat’s live.
So maybe you get the point? Income taxes also aren't the only way the government funds itself. While u income tax payers are maybe getting shafted, its because perhaps the other ways that are being taxed aren't paying their share at all. You pay more income tax so that a corporation can pay less corporate tax. If you own a corporation of course, then it stands to reason that you directly benefit from policies that raise income taxes and reduce corporate ones.

But it don't matter, if it makes you feel better to punch down on the people you perceive as being free loaders, I won't be able to convince you other wise. I get it, a place like California has a lot of obvious on the street people one may perceive as being the source of the problem.

However if you feel you're wealthy and under represented, do what all the other wealthy people do, start donating to political campaigns. Then write it off at tax time. Take advantage of that tax break reserved for the wealthy
that also gives you a louder political voice.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

Just so you’re clear on this: contributions to political events/parties/orgies are not eligible for tax write-offs. PAC contributions (ie lobbying groups) are under the same umbrella.
PAC’s receive massive money contributions not because it’s a tax write-off, but it’s a gamble that lobby will influence legislation.

I’m also not a hardcore clutcher of my own purse. I’m alright with my tax money going to various social programs. However I’m not ok with my taxes funding the soda and chip habit of some chick who can’t keep her legs closed and has 6 kids from 7 potential fathers, who then need endless type 2 diabetic medicine.

See how some of that spending can be avoided?
Have a read of this article and it’s links:
https://thefederalist.com/2016/12/16/wo ... pend-soda/
Mind you this is an American study, the principle is the same.
$1.9 Billion is junk food for food stamp recipients is criminal.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Nark

Not to get further off the tracks, let us get a bit deeper in how taxes work:

Straight from the safest city in the world:
The personnel shortage presents a dilemma that’s expected to deepen in the next few years. As many city agencies, including the Sheriff’s Department, hold off on hiring to help close a $1.5 billion deficit brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, vacant positions will remain open for the foreseeable future.

On top of that, the department is losing $20 million annually for the next two years as part of an effort to redirect money from the city’s law enforcement agencies to social and economic welfare causes that benefit the Black community.The personnel shortage presents a dilemma that’s expected to deepen in the next few years. As many city agencies, including the Sheriff’s Department, hold off on hiring to help close a $1.5 billion deficit brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, vacant positions will remain open for the foreseeable future.

On top of that, the department is losing $20 million annually for the next two years as part of an effort to redirect money from the city’s law enforcement agencies to social and economic welfare causes that benefit the Black community.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 470686.php

98% of US cities are safer than the most progressive city in the US.
https://www.hoover.org/research/why-san ... en-city-us

It's kind of weird the correlation between progressives and personal safety...
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

Every place the Left runs, turns to shit.

We have 100 years of misery resulting from that failed experiment.