a PBY will carry a two thousand pound over load with no real problem.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

How do you determine " Safety " regarding weight ?

Especially flying over weight with an approval from the regulator?

Anyone??

Liquid_Charlie

I hear ya chuck

The worst aircraft for overloading in canada and likely the world is the 2 Otter. The only way to make money was to overload it, like to pole trips, departing YRB at 18000 pds plus on an aircraft certified in canada to 12500 to beat classification and grouping regs. Anyone in following years could get a waiver to 14000 lbs but the zero fuel weight remained the same. Greenland Air operated their fleet at this for many years.

The other place for vast overloading of the not so mighty DHC6 was Antarctica ferry flights and least one met it's demise at Punta Arenas on a very heavy takeoff.

I find it very ironic that this aircraft was designed and built in Canada.

Overloading is still an everyday occurrence and pilots fudge numbers an feel very comfortable saying "I'm legal but they are still overloaded but being legal on paper and thinking you are covering your ass seems to trump safety.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
John Swallow

Chuck:

Sent you a PM...

John
David MacRay

Practical gross weight limits. :- `1st of all John, can you tell me every single seconds detail from that time when you born ?? ( i need every seconds detail ?? that what- what you have thought and done on every single second )

can you tell me every single detail of your `1 cheapest Minute Or your whole hour, day, week, month, year or your whole life ??

if you are not able to tell me about this life then what proof do you have that you didn't forget your past ?
John Swallow

"Practical gross weight limits. :- `1st of all John, can you tell me every single seconds detail from that time when you born ?? ( i need every seconds detail ?? that what- what you have thought and done on every single second )"

David:

Was that for me?

John
David MacRay

Yeah, I’m bitter about not getting a pm. No fair. You wouldn’t even need to post to alert me.
John Swallow

David: would you like know the contents of my PM ot Chuck...?
David MacRay

No, I should be ok. Just being cranky because Chuck ruined my thread giving me a hard time for following the rules. Then last week I get kicked off the citabria for being a fat bastard. I can’t lose weight. And I am probably taking too long to decide if I want to go to a course in Lethbridge on Saturday or just go fishing.

You know. First world problems.

How are you? I probably would have come back to hang out with your gang and not drink coffee if it would not make my wife say, “You can’t go to BC.”
John Swallow

David:

Some time ago, Chuck penned a story about learning to spray and I asked permission to repeat it in our local flying club newsletter...

John
David MacRay

See, you’re a great guy and I get all weird about it. Sorry. Could be chemical or hormonal. Maybe I was hangry.