Best Radio for a Champ

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

Hey all,

I may have settled on a Aeronca 7AC but the owner was using a handheld radio. So if I need to buy a radio should I just go with a handheld as well? or get a mounted one? Also was wondering since this one is certified and not OM can I even put a radio in it? As I understand it a certified A/C is a lot different to work on correct? I just can't go and change things.

Either way I'm looking for answers and radio suggestions.

Hope everyone is doing well, I'm in day two of fog so thick I can barely see out my windows, and trying study while homeschooling the 5 year old.

David MacRay

I think it’s tough to beat these guys for handhelds. The new one is even water proof.

http://www.icomcanada.com/products/avio ... c-a16.html
TwinOtterFan

I forgot to mention the plane is wired for intercom, not sure that changes much I imagine I would just run some type of splitter. I don't know much about hand held units but that price will be tough to beat. I see a lot of the Kitfox guys running fully integrated radio with transponder units but thats also the US, and they are all adding ADSB.

I already have an IPad mini with foreflight and external GPS (gift from the wife when I released from the military) I figure that with the radio would be good, unless I want to add a transponder.
Slick Goodlin

You can get little round radios that fit in the panel in a gauge-size hole that are neat but the vast majority of my fabric airplane time has been with a simple handheld. The only catch is you need to get some sort of plug-in PTT switch for it.
Jamesel

Yes, a permanent installation in a certified aircraft must be signed off by a licensed shop or engineer. Very, very doubtful anyone would let you do the work and sign it off for you after.
An “owner-maintenance” owner could do the install, but unless you get a lot of help from experienced home builders or AME’s it’s likely to be ugly behind the panel and unreliable.

I would go with the handheld. If you end up needing a transponder, that would be a good time to do a package, and install both the transponder and a panel mount comm then.

If there is an external antenna that had been mounted for an old comm radio, try to use that. It triples the range of most handhelds.
Patching the intercom system into the handheld CAN be a bit of a problem. Each setup will have its peculiarities.
Use Velcro cable or flexible wraps (Not Ty-Wraps) to keep the spider web of cables under control and fastened to the structure where it does not interfere with anything. Over head works well in most set-ups in Champs. Between power cables, headset cords, intercom power cable, PTT cord, antennae - spend an hour setting it up before your first flight and get it under control.
TwinOtterFan

Current owner is an AME and was using a handheld, If I was going the mounted route I was considering buying it and having him do the install before taking the plane.
Big Pistons Forever

My first airplane was a C 150. Shortly after I bought it the POS Cessna 300 radio died. I used a handheld connected to the external antenna and a portable intercom for the 4 years I owned it with absolutely no problems.
TwinOtterFan

Handheld it is then, I see you can grab a patch cable and I came across a youtube video of a guy making a mount for his handheld in a Champ, going to check it out and whip something up later.
Liquid_Charlie

Nothing wrong with a hand held but an external antenna is almost a must. Not many surfaces to mount it to on a champ but ingenuity is can solve anything :mrgreen:

Good choice - the champ is a grand old lady and will treat you well.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
TwinOtterFan

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:27 pm
Nothing wrong with a hand held but an external antenna is almost a must. Not many surfaces to mount it to on a champ but ingenuity is can solve anything :mrgreen:

Good choice - the champ is a grand old lady and will treat you well.
Well we will see if the deal goes through but its what I have settled on. I almost backed out because someone posted another Kitfox for sale, but my wife and friends have all urged me to stick with the Champ. I think I will be happy with it, she looks real nice in pictures, going to try and go see it this week or next.

As far as mounts go, I own a small company that does 3d design, 3d printing, laser cutting and engraving. I have already made my own IPad and GoPro mounts so I figure when the time comes I can make something nice for a radio.