The need for a “backup” career

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
trey kule

I have friends who are millwrights, journeymen carpenters; . . . Electricians.
Never have I heard any of them, either during their training and apprenticeship , or after, stress the need to learn another trade as a back-up.

But it is a never ending concern for those in aviation. It really makes me wonder about how people view aviation as a career choice, if they need to worry about a backup.

Nothing wrong with having a trade to fall back on. But to actually have to consider it as a requirement for getting into aviation is puzzling.

Covid has brought the harsh reality to many of our younger generation in aviation, and the exact value of those aviation diplomas. They grasp to convince employers that they will not jump ship when aviation finally rebounds. They seek to demonstrate that what they did in aviation is relevant to other jobs. And they optimistically expect a quick return, and the same level of compensation from their past employer. I think the future reality is going to be much slower in rebounding and the WAWCOM is going to be much different.

Liquid_Charlie

Yes we are journeymen not doctors and there lies the problem with some attitudes.

Maybe if aviation industry history should be part of the commercial pilot course. If new pilots are armed with the knowledge of how the industry works they would be better equipped to make choices.

My advise to "new" pilots is to have a good look at other parts of aviation rather than just wanting to be with the level 1 carriers.

I think I had a pretty good career and maintained a life style that was good for me. I never went through a furlough in 50 years of flying. Maybe my salary wasn't as much as some of my friends who went to AC and such but I think I caught up when they were on the street.

Times and attitudes change. My daughter is a doctor and there is no way she would consider working like my generation did. Doctors just don't do 90 hour weeks anymore. Pilots should also not need to work for the industry blood suckers as well.

Ironically this will not change as long a new pilots act like prostitutes and whores and choose to work for the guys with 70's and 80's management and business styles.

We are our own worst enemy.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Anyone have any experience in the trucking industry?

I have a few questions, I'm not looking to drive trucks or anything like that. (I have a great job)
Looking for insight into some aspects of the business as a side hustle project.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Liquid_Charlie

While I never have been fuloughed I have bailed on a company going under. I was a farm boy so it was logical to put my equipment experience to good use. I ran 'hoes (not nava hoes or whores -- haha) loaders and drove 18 wheeler and dump trucks. Strangely my next flying job was a phone call for a chief pilot 705 offer out of the blue. I wasn't actively looking for a flying job at the time. I once again put my dbl cluthching boots away and grabbed my wiz wheel.

Moral of my story, was you don't need any real planned fall back profession, just the drive to get off your ass and work and possibly get some dirt under your finger nails. It really makes you appreciate what a good gig flying is. Egos are such a strange brew.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
W5

I drove trucks for about 5 years, after retiring from aviation.
RBK

Another option is to just fly for pleasure and undertake a different career that you enjoy and pays well. That's worked for me over the years. While I sometime wonder if I would have enjoyed a career in aviation, it is sometimes nice not to worry about having to fly in marginal weather, be on call, etc.
Also, layoffs aren't unique to aviation. Many industries are cyclical in nature, mine included. It doesn't hurt to have other options if necessary. I maintained my Class 1 driver's licence as a backup, but haven't had to use it since finishing university despite having had a few periods of time with reduced hours at my regular career.
mcrit

Back up options are good for any career, but pretty much mandatory for aviation. The cycle is pretty well established; Aviation goes through 2-3 years of contraction (where we are now), 3-4 years of stability/mild growth 1-2 years of strong growth ended by some catastrophic event (9/11, 2008 bubble burst, COVID).
Unless you have seniority, or are in a protected niche of aviation when the catastrophe hits, you will need some other way to support yourself.
“Bob”

A better way would be to spend that time building seniority rather than going on the bunny trail of a backup career.

I have a backup career. Not because I needed it to be a pilot. It’s what I did before becoming a pilot.

And it would be almost useless if I was out of a flying job to try and pick back up.

Even for something like losing a medical, it’s only useful for a few years. Later on in your career it’s not going to replace your earnings, but a non-flying position like management or course instructor or something else could.