Slow flight

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
CpnCrunch

TeePeeCreeper wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:00 am
I wish updating a panel didn’t cost so much in Canada. (Why can’t we have a 337 field approval equivalent here?)
The G5 has a blanket STC for pretty much all aircraft under 6000lb, so there is no need for a 337 and TC accepts the STC. I'm thinking of getting a GI-275 in my plane later in the year.

Scudrunner
Site Admin

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/719027

Those are a pretty neat solution for GA panel upgrades.
Depending on mission makes a ton of sense for the majority of VFR weekend warriors.

I do get a chuckle out of some guys panels on airplanes that barely leave the circuit or so much as see a cloud. But hey why not I suppose.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
CpnCrunch

Scudrunner wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:08 pm
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/719027

Those are a pretty neat solution for GA panel upgrades.
Depending on mission makes a ton of sense for the majority of VFR weekend warriors.

I do get a chuckle out of some guys panels on airplanes that barely leave the circuit or so much as see a cloud. But hey why not I suppose.
Yeah, I'm not sure it's really worth it flying VFR. For me the main benefit is for IFR flying: altitude alerts, GPSS, synthetic vision (but not sure how useful it is on the small screen), wind direction and turn co-ordinator with the external temp sensor (I can then just remove the STEC-30 TC if I upgrade my autopilot).
It's just a lot more situational awareness for flying single pilot IFR.

For VFR flying all you really "need" is an ipad with FltPlan Go. Or, if you're not flying anywhere near controlled airspace you don't even need that.
Nark

I have to chuckle as well. Some panels can do better than my A320’s autoland, but they don’t fly it when the wind blows.

Upgrading my panel has saved me countless times. Both literally and figuratively. Last December, for example, I was able to continue mission. Picked up a pop up clearance. No time lost.
I use the plane to commute to work occasionally. Has helped there when the weather goes down hill faster than forecast.

Adding the autopilot has been awesome, granted I’ve only had it for 2 weeks now. No cross-countries yet.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
CpnCrunch

All you're missing is the GTN 650. I have the 430W too, and I'm half thinking about upgrading to the new GTN 650 xi. I tried the ipad trainer and it's amazing what it can do in terms of flying random holds, and flying the entire departure and missed approach procedure (which the 430w only does in a half-assed sort of way). It's just a question of whether spending that amount of cash is worth it.
digits

CpnCrunch wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:29 pm
All you're missing is the GTN 650. I have the 430W too, and I'm half thinking about upgrading to the new GTN 650 xi. I tried the ipad trainer and it's amazing what it can do in terms of flying random holds, and flying the entire departure and missed approach procedure (which the 430w only does in a half-assed sort of way). It's just a question of whether spending that amount of cash is worth it.
Why don't you get the avidyne ifd440 instead? Literally plug and play. Your GTN650 would need new wiring and new brackets etc.
TeePeeCreeper

CpnCrunch wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:59 pm
TeePeeCreeper wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:00 am
I wish updating a panel didn’t cost so much in Canada. (Why can’t we have a 337 field approval equivalent here?)
The G5 has a blanket STC for pretty much all aircraft under 6000lb, so there is no need for a 337 and TC accepts the STC. I'm thinking of getting a GI-275 in my plane later in the year.
Looks like a great mod at one heck of a nice price point!

I guess what I was driving at is this;

Slapping glass on the WHOLE panel here like our friends down south can, rather is cost prohibitive...

Have any of you guys tried the GTN750?

Regards,
TPC
digits

TeePeeCreeper wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:58 am

Have any of you guys tried the GTN750?
It works about the same as a GTN650. Bigger screen. Looks fancie. Freaks me out how much it would cost to replace the screen though, if at all possible.

Probably an irrational fear, but I can see something smashing in there. Turbulence would make it harder to work with as well...
CpnCrunch

digits wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:25 am
Why don't you get the avidyne ifd440 instead? Literally plug and play. Your GTN650 would need new wiring and new brackets etc.
Plug and play, in theory. From what I gather, it seems that garmin products work better with other garmin products, they have less bugs, and I generally trust them more. Also, the labour to replace the 430W with GTN 650 doesn't seem to be too much (compared to the price of the thing).
Nark

Neighbor has a dual 750/650 setup. We went out and flew a few approaches. The 750 is primary and does the bulk of the work. The 650 as a #2 was a very nice ATIS getter.

Years ago I remember Canada had a lack of LPV approaches, is this still the case?

My 182, when I designed the panel, I used the Garmin 355 as primary nav, since 99% of the airports here have an RNAV approach, if there is a ground based approach. With that in mind, I would shoot an LPV or LNAV/VNAV in lieu of an ILS. My #2 is a garmin nav/com , which is displayed in the Aspen.
F5F41808-2FBB-4B87-8DB0-365FB01EE0C4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com