Piper Aztec E normally aspirated

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

As a bit of trivia I must be getting old because the first time I flew a Beech 18 was in 1964, the same year I got my helicopter license. :)

Liquid_Charlie

The mighty "bug smasher" - many hours listening to the drone of a pair of juniors. There was a time I could get in and out of the side cockpit window, not all had a hatch which was a float kit requirement. I always had a crash axe handy when the freight was piled to the roof.

It was the best float plane I ever flew, could move a lot more freight and people in a day than a stone boat (single otter). It also flew a lot nicer than any DH Canada product. Even a Noresman did that :mrgreen:

The bch 18 is right up there with the DC3 - damn the 1930's and 40's were a large leap in aviation. It's funny how certain things and events mark how aviation tech progresses.

What's next, unmanned commercial aircraft, low orbit supersonic commuting and elimination of "air taxi" with high speed ground transport. Who knows!
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Liquid_Charlie

little thread drift but damn the old whoredyne looking pretty spiffy and new taxiing out in Sioux Lookout circa 1939

JW Scud

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:49 pm
There was a time I could get in and out of the side cockpit window, not all had a hatch which was a float kit requirement.
Hmmm, it would be interesting to know which aircraft you flew that figure you still get in and out through the window. A left dresser might end up as a right dresser once through a tight one.
Liquid_Charlie

As young aspiring "bush" pilots we were in and out of a lot of tight places where your balls were on the line and that wasn't even at work :mrgreen: