Can someone explain this for me?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
trey kule

So, boredom struck and I ended up on youtube looking at aviation vids.
The usual lists of the 10 worst/best/scariest flights.

But what I could not understand , is the sheer number of pilots who cannot seem to fly an airplane unless they are videotaping themselves. Most of the flights, despite some rather exciting commentary or music, were just plain old flights.

Maybe its a generational thing, or senility, but I simply do not understand this need to document every moment you are flying, and then put it out there for the approval of complete strangers.

Do people really desperately need the approval of strangers? Do they think that the flight they did was so very special? Or something else.

What am I missing here?

Doin_Time

If you think that's bad, there are pilots on furlough who have taken to recording themselves flying flight simulator and posting it to their Youtube channel... Awful... I won't name names but I expect most of the viewers aren't there for the flying.
JW Scud

If I remember correctly, some of the cabin crew have been earning money on video as well.
anofly

Ha!
Colonel

DENVER (CBS4) – A cellphone may have played a role in a deadly plane crash in Adams County.

The National Transportation Safety Board released its report on the May 2014 crash in which two people were killed when the plane went down near the Front Range Airport in Watkins.

The NTSB says the plane’s occupants were taking selfies on board. The report says the cause of the crash may have been a case of distracted flying.

Investigators found a GoPro camera in the crash debris. The video from the camera showed the pilot and his passenger taking selfies at low altitudes.

The Cessna 150 went down in a field two miles from Front Range Airport while doing nighttime takeoffs and landings, according to the NTSB report.

“Pilot and passengers were taking self-photographs with their cellphones,” the report states.

The NTSB report stated those in the plane were also using the camera’s flash function at night.
It's ok to die in an airplane. Just don't hurt anyone's feelings, ok? This is 21st Century Aviation.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Hey! My awesome dash cam videos of me flying around and landing safely have excellent production value and free creative commons sourced music!

My buddy at Westjet is streaming himself playing COD pwoning noobs online. he made 20 bucks today. He's convince his wife its his new career as a gamer, flying airplanes is bullshit.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Liquid_Charlie

It's the generation of "likes" - I can't believe what people will watch and then "like" it. It's morbid, plain and simple. Websters even has an update but I still think people are missing the meaning or they are "like" really fucked. Jeezus all the meanings and uses for a simple 4 letter word. You gotta like that. :mrgreen:

like verb
Save Word

To save this word, you'll need to log in.
\ ˈlīk
\
liked; liking
Definition of like

(Entry 1 of 9)

transitive verb
1a : to feel attraction toward or take pleasure in : enjoy likes baseball
b : to feel toward : regard how would you like a change
2 : to wish to have : want would like a drink
3 : to do well in this plant likes dry soil my car does not like cold weather
4 : to electronically register one's approval of (something, such as an online post or comment) for others to see (as by clicking on an icon designed for that purpose) [Brittany] Bunker then thanked the 477,000 people who had liked her post for their support …— Natalie Cornish How he picked out this seemingly random user and went ahead and liked the tweet is really surprising …— Zach Pereles
5 chiefly dialectal : to be suitable or agreeable to I like onions but they don't like me

intransitive verb
1 : to feel inclined : choose, prefer leave any time you like
2 dialect : approve

like noun (1)

Definition of like (Entry 2 of 9)
1 : liking, preference
2 : something that one likes
3 : the act or an instance of liking (see like entry 1 sense 4) an online comment, post, etc. Her post got thousands of likes.

like adjective

Definition of like (Entry 3 of 9)
1a : the same or nearly the same (as in appearance, character, or quantity) suits of like design —formerly used with as, unto, ofit behoved him to be made like unto his brethren — Hebrews 2:17 (King James Version)
b chiefly British : closely resembling the subject or original the portrait is very like
2 : likely the importance of statistics as the one discipline like to give accuracy of mind— H. J. Laski

like preposition

Definition of like (Entry 4 of 9)
1a : having the characteristics of : similar to his house is like a barn it's like when we were kids
b : typical of was like him to do that
c : comparable to : approximating costs something like fifty cents
2 : in the manner of : similarly to acts like a fool
3 : as though there would be looks like rain
4 : such as a subject like physics
5 —used to form intensive or ironic phrasesfought like helllike fun he didlaughed like anything

like noun (2)

Definition of like (Entry 5 of 9)
1a : one that is similar : counterpart, equal have … never seen the like before— Sir Winston Churchill
b : kind sense 1a —usually used with a preceding possessiveput him and his like to some job— J. R. R. Tolkien
2 : one of many that are similar to each other —used chiefly in proverbial expressionslike breeds like
and the like
: et cetera
the likes of or less commonly the like of
1 : such people as : such things as reads the likes of Austen and Browning
2 : such a one as and perhaps others similar to —usually used with disparaging overtoneshave no use for the likes of you
3 : the kind or sort of a fantastic celebration the likes of which had never been seen before— Joseph Heller

like adverb

Definition of like (Entry 6 of 9)
1 archaic : equally
2 : likely, probably you'll try it, some day, like enough— Mark Twain
3a : to some extent : rather, altogether saunter over nonchalantly like— Walter Karig
b —used interjectionally in informal speech often to emphasize a word or phrase (as in "He was, like, gorgeous") or for an apologetic, vague, or unassertive effect (as in "I need to, like, borrow some money")
4 : nearly, approximately the actual interest is more like 18 percent —used interjectionally in informal speech with expressions of measurementit was, like, five feet longgoes there every day, like
as like as not or like as not
: probably

like conjunction

Definition of like (Entry 7 of 9)
1a : as if middle-aged men who looked like they might be out for their one night of the year— Norman Mailer
b —used in intensive phrasesdrove like madhurts like crazy
2 : in the same way that : as they raven down scenery like children do sweetmeats— John Keats
3a : in the way or manner that the violin sounds like an old masterpiece should did it like you told me
b —used interjectionally in informal speech often with the verb be to introduce a quotation, paraphrase, or thought expressed by or imputed to the subject of the verb, or with it's to report a generally held opinionso I'm like, "Give me a break"it's like, "Who cares what he thinks?"
4 : such as a bag like a doctor carries when your car has trouble—like when it won't start —used interjectionally in informal speechoften stays up late, until like three in the morning

like auxiliary verb
\ ˈlīkt
\
variants: or liked

Definition of like (Entry 8 of 9)
chiefly dialectal
: came near : was near so loud I like to fell out of bed— Helen Eustis

-like adjective combining form

Definition of -like (Entry 9 of 9)
: resembling or characteristic of bell-like ladylike
Synonyms & Antonyms
Like vs. as: Usage Guide
More Example Sentences
Learn More about like
Synonyms & Antonyms for like

Synonyms: Verb

care (for), want

Synonyms: Adjective

akin, alike, analogous, cognate, comparable, connate, correspondent, corresponding, ditto, matching, parallel, resemblant, resembling, similar, such, suchlike

Synonyms: Adverb

enough, fairly, kind of, kindly [chiefly Southern], moderately, more or less, pretty, quite, rather, relatively, something, somewhat, sort of

Synonyms: Conjunction

as, as if, as though

Antonyms: Adjective

different, dissimilar, diverse, unakin, unlike

Visit the Thesaurus for More
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Doin_Time

Scudrunner wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:07 am
Hey! My awesome dash cam videos of me flying around and landing safely have excellent production value and free creative commons sourced music!

My buddy at Westjet is streaming himself playing COD pwoning noobs online. he made 20 bucks today. He's convince his wife its his new career as a gamer, flying airplanes is bullshit.
AMEN to that! Sign me up to play video games and get paid!
Colonel