Westjet Suspends and Fires Pilots for Social Media Posts

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
John Swallow

People have to be aware that what they put on the 'net isn't necessarily private.

In days gone by, I worked for a company down east involved in the oil business and forestry products. I can imagine my fate if I'd stood out on a street corner with signs that said their business ethics were questionable, that they were predatory, and that they were into price gouging...
Colonel

Our two weapons are fear, surprise ... and ruthless efficiency.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Liquid_Charlie

You be hard pressed to find a potential employer today that does not do a social media search for you after an interview. Firing someone over a social media post is not new. Wasaya fired someone over 10 years ago for doing that. So it's not just the big boys.

What mystifies me is the fact that people are so stupid to post that kind of shit on their social media. That is so fucking dumb they deserve to get punted just on that alone never mind for what they actually said.

I'm amazed at the number of the "tech" generation that has no clue to how the smart phone that they are addicted to actually works and the realities of the internet.

It's not about flow of information. It's all about selling you shit or stealing your money. :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Eric Janson

What were they thinking?

Now isn't the time to jeopardise you career by doing something stupid. Now is the time to keep your head down and not make waves imho.

There are no other jobs and won't be for a long time imho.

If I lose my job that's the end of my career - I figured this out in March. Some people still don't seem to get it.

It's SURVIVAL at the moment.