To P model or not to P model...

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
TwinOtterFan

The P model is definitely available more often, I have overheard the other ( much younger and far more rich ) students talking about how they refuse to fly the P model, they couldn't really offer a reason they just refuse to fly it. Sure it's not pretty but I have seen the R's go in for maintenance for more often.

As for driving I actually drive a 1977 Cj5 Colonel, I've always had a thing with older tech, probably always will.

David MacRay

You drive a 40+ year old car?
Of course.

I thought the yellow voice ballon would bring up quote tags. Not so much.
These tags are perfect for me but where's the button for quote tags?
David MacRay

I guess they want to make it easier by having you stick to one. Flying different planes often is good for your skills. Problem is if you don't do it enough you get errors caused by muscle memory.

An example is when I drive a manual transmission often enough, then get in a vehicle with a girl's transmission and kick the floor before turning the key because my foot knows the starter won't engage without the clutch pedal closing the safety switch.

I flew N models through my training and now have a slight nostalgia preference over the Ms in the fleet where I occasionally fly.

If they had Rs for the same price I'd probably rather fly them just for the newer interiors.
Colonel

When I used to drive in the salt, cars might last 10 years. At 15, they
were destroyed. You guys must live somewhere with no salt.

Since I moved to someplace with no winter, I will admit that I frequently
see weird old cars. Here's one. I think he works at Safeway:

Here's another one, at Alice's Restaurant.

Yes, that's a D-type Jaguar. Yes, it's worth tens of millions of dollars. Yes,
he's driving it on the road. I have no idea if he can get insurance, I didn't
ask.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
David MacRay

I used to live in a place where they used very little salt. Now people, many of whom are ignorant, from Canada (GTA) or both, complain there is not enough salt eating the cars and surfaces they operate on.

I should get a job buy a plane and move to Texas but I probably won't.

I'll sell you my 1969 Eldorado from Saskatchewan for $3000us delivered, it's not bad yet but the last owner drove it here in the winter so it's probably going to rust soon.
TwinOtterFan

David MacRay wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:45 pm
I guess they want to make it easier by having you stick to one. Flying different planes often is good for your skills. Problem is if you don't do it enough you get errors caused by muscle memory.

An example is when I drive a manual transmission often enough, then get in a vehicle with a girl's transmission and kick the floor before turning the key because my foot knows the starter won't engage without the clutch pedal closing the safety switch.

I flew N models through my training and now have a slight nostalgia preference over the Ms in the fleet where I occasionally fly.

If they had Rs for the same price I'd probably rather fly them just for the newer interiors.
Yes he said i should choose before we go much more into approaches and landings as they land a little differently. He also mentioned the carb/winter concerns.

I was laughing pretty good reading your post as my spouse is finally just moving up here, I hopped in her jeep yesterday and kicked the "dead pedal" trying to start it haha.

If you go far enough north they stop using salt as its ineffective. They just use sand. Although now that I'm back down here it may be salt. We will see soon I guess.
David MacRay

Good ol' phantom pedal.

Salt is pointless here because usually the chinook will melt the snow but it's just money so they pour it on killing the river and nice cars. The M has a weird flap switch that does not indicate where the flaps are. The N and newer have the nice notches every ten degrees.

Fly the P then later you might have muscle memory for checking the carb heat.
DeflectionShot

But they do have a Citabria and I asked about training on it but there are few instructors available for it and when they did the inspection of it they found many problems, so it will be out of service for a while. I know the feeling. Finding tailwheel instruction in Canada is only slightly harder than climbing K2 without oxygen.

I think Liquid Charlie and David make good points above about learning to use ancient technology. Most of Canada's aging GA fleet uses carbs. Also I'm still not clear what the problem with winter flying is on the P model. We use the N model at the club and it gets very cold where I live.
David MacRay

I see I'm not the only one. Trying to get quote tags.
David MacRay wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:34 pm
You drive a 40+ year old car?
Of course.

I thought the yellow voice ballon would bring up quote tags. Not so much.
These tags are perfect for me but where's the button for quote tags?
Oops, I fibbed. My car is 51 years old.
Colonel

My car is 51 years old.
You win! I used to have a 1970½ Camaro. It rusted so bad, you needed
a magnet to pick it up. Salt kills metal. Happier times in 1980:

Finding tailwheel instruction in Canada is only slightly harder than climbing K2 without oxygen
Sorry about that. I fought the good fight. I had to leave when TC
starting telling my town Chief of Police that I was smuggling cocaine
up from South America. Too hot. Irony note: TC Inspector and his
wife lost their medicals, and continue to fly. Different rules for different
people, I guess. Cops don't get too many speeding tickets.

Never got my laptop or phone back, either. I guess I should be thankful
TC never revoked my Canadian citizenship, as they threatened to.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.