Let's get this project for fixing up during the isolation.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Nark wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:19 pm
My dream is a turbine powered RV10.
That would be pretty cool. Wasn't someone talking about a turbine Chipmonk?

upnatem

Nark wrote:
https://www.pbsaerospace.com/news-event ... -the-tp100
Nark

upnatem wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:58 pm
Nark wrote:
https://www.pbsaerospace.com/news-event ... -the-tp100
That’s what sparked the interest. I’ve been in talks with the engine manufacturer.
I bought a 182 and started a club with it instead.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
David MacRay

Club?

I wonder how many of those RV-10s are built now. Looks like a pretty great unit. Probably can't import those either. Oh Canada.
Tailwind W10

So what kind of money are they asking for the engine? Sure looks like the sweet spot for power in a home-built airplane, thought i choke a little at the 18GPH fuel consumption at cruise. :shock:

Looks like the same gas generator section as the engine on the Sonex jet.

Gerry
Colonel

L39 is 70 gph at idle, 300+ gph on takeoff. When we had two of them waiting for a buck fifty
on final at 50 knots, we were burning 140 gph on the ground.

Pro Tip: Only go turbine if you own a refinery!

Both the L39 and the C421 were about a thousand bucks, each trip to the pumps in Canada.
David MacRay

My very rudimentary understanding from ground school is turbines switch to more efficient over a long distance when you go fast enough.
Nark

I had to sign an NDA with regards to financial info. But, I'll say this: it's not cheaper...

Turbines are efficient up high, in thinner air. The savings is in they still work in the thin air, whereas you'll need one hell of a super charger for a piston. Just a guess, but thats why the Allison's boost in the 50" MP range.

The idea for me, is the RV10 is dime-a-dozen. Why not make something really unique?

The club idea came about because I received constant attention about owning a plane, but then got in to the $$ details and people were turned away. I have 2 coworkers that fly the plane when they want, for a fraction of what the local school charges for the 172. My insurance is set up for me plus 3. I have another coworker asking permission from his boss, hopefully she says yes, and all the members will be coworkers of mine.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Tailwind W10

Nark wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:53 pm
I had to sign an NDA with regards to financial info.
Understood! I just looked up the PBS TJ-100 on the Sonex website. They're asking $60K and change if you order it with the Subsonex kit, and $65K "regular price". Adding the free turbine spool and a gearbox, I'd make a wild guess would add another $20K to it, or more.

Nice little pipe dream, it'd be a hoot for sure. ;^)
Gerry
Colonel

Sharing an airplane is like a marriage. Need to choose the right people
or you're going to wish you never did it.