I think I want a Pitts

Flying Tips and Advice from The Colonel!
cgzro

You'll learn all about shoe shopping for a Pitts if you get one. Thin soles that are flexible and not too good a grip so that they slide on the heel plates properly.

Slick Goodlin

cgzro wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:50 pm
You'll learn all about shoe shopping for a Pitts if you get one. Thin soles that are flexible and not too good a grip so that they slide on the heel plates properly.
Sounds like bowling shoes.
Chuck Ellsworth

I am the perfect size for the Pitts Special.

5 foot seven inches tall and 120 pounds with my shoes on and my condoms in my back pocket.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:48 pm
If you understand tube and fabric and Lycomings and taildraggers, you're most
of the way there. You just need to figure out how to land blind, and to unspin.
Confident enough in the first three. Landing blind doesn’t bother me; I’ve landed with long cowls and wide cowls and people in front of me and a radiator in my face, and one time with a windscreen covered in oil. I can probably unspin just good enough to be bad at it so maybe a little brush up there would be good.

From my best uneducated guess this little guy nails my S1 fantasy perfectly:

The real trouble comes in test driving one: I figure I pretty well can’t. That’s why I’m asking around now to try and nail down what I really want.
Colonel

Pitts are simple to unspin: throttle off, let go of the stick.

Hard to test drive. The front seat of a S-2A will give you
a similar sight picture, although the c/s prop provides
more drag and a much steeper approach than the S1.

Also need to knock 10 mph off the approach speed, going
from the heavy two seat to a light single seat.

Get some time in a 2 seat, is all I can suggest. It’s similar,
but much larger and heavier than the S1, which is a bit like
a skateboard with wings. Tucker has a school in King City.

PS I remember a few years back, people were liking the
fixed pitch MT 3 blade on the Pitts. Guy in overalls liked
the Cato (?)
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
cgzro

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:34 pm
The real trouble comes in test driving one: I figure I pretty well can’t. That’s why I’m asking around now to try and nail down what I really want.
Yeah, normally you have to buy one to try it but its really like the front seat of the S2's only much lighter on the controls and the visibility is much better. Oh and you are much lower to the ground, especially with some of the spring gear models. I ferried the little black S1 from Quebec City to Lachute and it was 1 foot lower than mine. Interesting experience having your ass only a foot off the ground when landing but even more ground rush on take-off. Forward vis is very good till the last second if you slip on final or do a break/curve type approach and once you get the hang of it you can plant it on the mains and stay there till the intersection with fantastic visibility.

Also they are quite a bit different seating wise with a setback v.s a backpack chute. I recommend sitting in one with both types of chute to see which is better for you. If you get near Ottawa I'll be happy to let you try mine on for size with both parachute types. The S-1T is not exactly the same as an S-1C or S but closer than a B or C seating wise.
Tailwind W10

EAA posted this vid a few days ago. Just for a bit of inspiration. ;^)

Gerry
Slick Goodlin

Tailwind W10 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:32 pm
EAA posted this vid a few days ago. Just for a bit of inspiration. ;^)
I finally got around to watching that. It’s nearly perfect.
digits

People keep mentioning parachutes here. If you are flying a closed cockpit one, are they useful? Will you have enough time and altitude to jump out? Has anyone ever jumped out of an uncontrollable pitts?
David MacRay

digits!

You working?