AssCan Idiots: Control Reversal

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

No one on AssCan knows what angle of attack is.

See, when you push forward on the stick - no AssCan genius has ever done that - and get a negative AOA on, you have high pressure on the top of the wing, and low pressure on the bottom of the wing - the opposite of normal.

When you have a -ve AOA, the effect of the ailerons is reversed. You bank right, the aircraft goes left. You bank left, the airplane goes right. This is because of the horizontal component of the lift vector, pushing down on the top of the wing.

Ask any AssCan expert to explain that can happen in any aircraft, when you push forward.

God, they're so stupid. But they have so much virtue to signal. What a bunch of ignorant twits. Maybe some day, I will know as much about aviation as a virtuous Asscan Idiot that hasn't a fucking clue what AOA is, or what it does.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Chuck Ellsworth

I thought you were banned from that site like I am.

What went wrong over there?

Have all the posters that are experienced pilots left the site, or are the moderators running it based on their own shallow knowledge of flying?

I am truly perplexed by being banned for making one comment relating to someone else's post that was in no way offensive, especially in that it was made under my old name of Cat Driver which I had used since the forum first started.

And I had not posted there for many months.

Any idea who North Shore is?

Weird.
Colonel

For a quarter of a century, I continuously gave flight instruction on everything
with wings. During that time, do you have any idea how many thousands of times
I sat in the right seat during takeoff, and as the nose went LEFT, the student turned
what looked like a steering wheel to the RIGHT?

This of course created adverse yaw, with the downgoing aileron on the left, so the
nose went left some more. So, the student would crank what looks like a steering
wheel more to the right, which drops the left aileron some more, which creates more
adverse yaw, which pulls the nose to the LEFT with full aileron input commanded to
the RIGHT.

If the student gets to do what he wants, the nose is yawing uncontrollably LEFT with
FULL RIGHT aileron input.

Gosh, that's something pretty exotic and hard to understand, isn't it?

RIGHT RUDDER

re: AssCan banning ... I think I probably hold more patents in the area of network
protocols than most, if not all of the AssCan Brain Trust™.
Chuck Ellsworth

For a quarter of a century, I continuously gave flight instruction on everything
with wings. During that time, do you have any idea how many thousands of times
I sat in the right seat during takeoff, and as the nose went LEFT, the student turned
what looked like a steering wheel to the RIGHT?
Same here, the level of the understanding of the basics of airplane handling was pathetic to say the least in far to many pilots I gave flight instruction to.

If the regulator had any sense of their true reason of their responsibility they would revoke a lot of instructor ratings, but they are obviously so incompetent they don't recognise the problem.

Maybe Big Pistons Forever could explain why the regulator is so disinterested in quality control in their over site of the training industry?

I am certain he reads this site.
Colonel

The thing that makes me sad, is that basic, fundamental knowledge like the production of
lift and drag is considered "advanced" in this age of checklists, silly costumes and button pushing.

I remember a few years back, I was at an airshow in Ottawa. I was flying the Pitts, the Stearman
and the L39 on the same day in the show, which blew the mind of the President of Vintage Wings, who was an F-104 and F-18 pilot. Flew nicely on my wing in his silver RV-8.

The chief test pilot of the NRC - that I gave some advanced spin training to - asked me how I got
into instructing on L39's and issuing type ratings on them, because as he said, you can only fly jet fighters if you have flown jet fighters before (ironic mathematical proof-by-induction joke - haha).

I replied, "Rob, all airplanes have wings, that push air down, and engines that push air back".

Interesting that I am no longer eligible to hold a flight instructor rating in Canada. Maybe Chuck's favorite TC Inspector on AssCan could answer why?
Liquid_Charlie

Some of my most enjoyable moments were in the old Hor'dyne - Invariably you would load the dudes and hope into the left seat and be greeted with "hi I'm a pilot and that's why I'm upfront". So - no dual controls but a swing over yoke and no rudder pedals but they still asked if they could fly -- LMFAOOooo - so once I sweat my balls off getting the old girl launched and settled in straight and level - well as close to that you can get on a hot day in a norseman. I would swing the yoke over and watch the show -- entertaining was an understatement, usually after a cpl minutes of trying to steer with nose going the opposite direction than the control input they would sheeplessly give up and thank me and never a clue what was going on.

Fast forward to present day and watching new F/O's in a DC-3T and the mystical rudder once again rears it's ugly head. I feel uncomfortable flying without feet on rudders, no matter what type I'm flying. It's all about fineness. Even in a jet a little squeeze helps. But enough I am drifting -- :mrgreen: rudder -- rudder !!!!

Oh ya -- can inverted flight be considered as qualifying?
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Chuck Ellsworth

I remember a few years back, I was at an airshow in Ottawa. I was flying the Pitts, the Stearman
and the L39 on the same day in the show, which blew the mind of the President of Vintage Wings, who was an F-104 and F-18 pilot. Flew nicely on my wing in his silver RV-8.
For sure aviation has gone down hill over the years and nothing better illustrates this better than the thoughts on flying different types of machines randomly.

When I was Chief Pilot of a company in Windsor many decades ago I used to start the day flying for a radio station in a helicopter, as soon as I landed I got in the Beech 18 and flew a regular charter flight and then did training on the single engine machines and never ever gave it any thought because it was my job to fly them.

Interesting that I am no longer eligible to hold a flight instructor rating in Canada. Maybe Chuck's favorite TC Inspector on AssCan could answer why?
His opinion would carry no value to me because in my personal opinion it has no value.

Can you imagine one of us applying for a job at Transport Canada in any capacity? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cgzro

Colonel wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42 am
When you have a -ve AOA, the effect of the ailerons is reversed. You bank right, the aircraft goes left. You bank left, the airplane goes right. This is because of the horizontal component of the lift vector, pushing down on the top of the wing.
Inverted turns .. great fun.