Atlas Air 767 Houston - NTSB Report

Aircraft Accident & Crash Investigation Topics
Colonel

Suggestion:  Don't pair up weak pilots in scheduling.

When you combine a weak captain and a weak FO (and a little Wx) the results are disastrous.

And try really hard not to trot out the "fatigue" excuse for poor pilot performance.

Nark1

There should never be a weak pilot available on the roster to even pair with anyone.

OE needs to weed out the weak pilots. 

Getting fired is better than killing 2 or 200.
Eric Janson

The benefits of "Diversity Hiring"!

You'll be seeing a lot more of these kinds of accidents in the coming years imho.

Colonel

At the risk of hurting feelings, which I know is forbidden in a 21st Century cockpit ....

Pilots need to have their performance [i]objectively[/i] measured.  In nature, these kinds
of statistical samples always result in a bell curve.

Pilots in the bottom 10% need to be flagged, and [i]cannot[/i] be paired by scheduling
with other pilots in the bottom 10%.

This would hurt feelings, but it would avoid these kinds of accidents where two weak
pilots just aren't up to any reasonable day-to-day challenge like Wx or mechanical.
Eric Janson

Sounds great in theory.

Until something unexpected happens and the roster is disrupted - and then this sort of thing is inevitable.

It's all about money - anyone who says different is a liar.

The only thing that surprises me is that there aren't more accidents.
Colonel

As long as nothing goes wrong, two weak pilots can push buttons
and probably get where they're supposed to go.
Eric Janson

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=10285.msg29757#msg29757 date=1577319638]
As long as nothing goes wrong, two weak pilots can push buttons
and probably get where they're supposed to go.
[/quote]

I'll bet that happens everyday - accident avoided because the last link in the chain isn't present. ILS to ILS on long runways will hide a lack of skills.

At an Asian Flag Carrier I observed the "Reason Model" (holes in the cheese lining up) happening for real! Management had no clue - completely disconnected from the real world.

Amazing they never had an accident - but that wasn't for a lack of trying!

A mis-handled fuel leak over the Bay of Bengal with an A330 would have resulted in them running out of fuel had they been any further away from their destination.

The above incident was covered up by both the Airline and the local CAA - it doesn't appear on their website.