Flying The Maple Leaf At SFO

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Not fucking again.

It's embarrassing to be a Canadian pilot in California.  I get asked all the
time, do you guys use the radio up there?  Are there any towered airports
in Canada?

And cut out the lame fucking excuses, Sky Gods.

You fucked up.  Again.  How about a 365 day licence suspension?

Rosco P Coltrane

[quote]do you guys use the radio up there?[/quote]

Oh, yeah, we love using the radio up here. "Chicken Licks Traffic this is Cessna GABC at 6000' 8 miles to the east of knobville in bound to check the winds, I had a turkey on rye with light mayo for lunch, my favorite sports team won in over time last night so I'm pretty happy about that. It's sure a beautiful day for flying. Any conflicting traffic please advise."
Chuck Ellsworth

Air Canada is making Canada look worse than the lowest fourth world airline.

When asked what my citizenship is I say American ( as in North American ) .
Slick Goodlin

I’m kind of curious what caused that one.  You know, beyond a simple cranial-rectal inversion.  I have a flight to Cali in a couple days and would prefer my flight wasn’t on the news...
Trey Kule

What happened?  I am a bit out ofthe news cycle?
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Trey Kule link=topic=10154.msg29218#msg29218 date=1572722925]
What happened?  I am a bit out ofthe news cycle?
[/quote]
Landed without a clearance or some such, just never checked in with tower.  There are procedures in place to prevent this sort of thing, yet...
Chuck Ellsworth

SFO.

Is Air Canada's black hole.

Have their P.R. department made any comments on it yet, or is it just not worth commenting on because it was not as exciting as nearly landing on that line of airplanes on the taxi way?
Colonel

I'm sure they'll blame this on fatigue, like they always do.  That's the old
reliable excuse to trot out, like they did for Colgan 3407.

The fact that the fatigue - if it's really a factor - is self-inflicted will not be
mentioned.  Clearly the pilot's families were threatened with flamethrowers,
if they didn't take this flight.

True story:  Tower was shocked today, when I confirmed landing clearance
on final, which had actually not been issued.  They're not used to that sort
of behavior from C-registered aircraft here.
JW Scud

Being a federally regulated company, AC has to give brownie points to certain groups. I was told I should check their pilot hiring page for some of the type of people they are looking for.

I found this(no joke): "At Air Canada, we want to fly higher when it comes to employment equity. We therefore encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, women, members of a visible minority [u]and persons with a disability.[/u]"   

Hmmm, they are looking for disabled pilots. What kind of disabilities would qualify, I wondered. Further along I found this:
[u]"Definition of designated groups:
Persons with Disabilities:
For the purposes of employment equity, “persons with disabilities” means persons who have a long-term or recurrent physical, mental, sensory, psychiatric or learning impairment and consider themselves to be, or believe that an employer or a potential employer would be likely to consider them disadvantaged in employment. This definition also includes persons whose functional limitations owing to their impairment have been accommodated in their current job or workplace.
Examples:
Coordination or dexterity impairment
Mobility impairment
Blind or visual impairment
Deaf or hearing impairment
Speech impairment
Non-visible impairment (epilepsy, haemophilia, diabetes, asthma, etc.)"[/u]

Remember this is on the pilot part of the hiring site and is mentioned soon after asking questions about total time, jet time etc. Maybe they should present this in their in-flight magazine.
By the way, what about an addiction to scudrunners?

Chuck Ellsworth

Great find Scud.

It is beyond belief that any airline could possibly be that myopic as to put in writing they have a policy that puts people with disabilities in a favoured position for employment as a pilot.

It is just mind boggling.