I can't get an answer.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

Exactly:

However I have carefully explained how to improve ones ability to judge height very accurately and the way to do it is to be looking in the correct place, not way out in the far distance.

Not only does it seem they don't understand the basics of flying they are not even in the least interested in trying out something they have not been taught.

The real problem is at Transport Canada and their iron grip on doing it their way, they fear T.C. and thus remain silent.

Transport Canada Flight Training department is where those who could not make it in the real world of flying can go and suck on the tit of the taxpayer until they die and never ever have to be acountable for anything..

One of the members over there used to work for me in my flight school ( For a short time before I got rid of him. ) he is now a T.C. flight training inspector and the instructors fear him more than they fear being inept as teachers.

Next time he replies to one of my posts I am tempted to ask him how many horse shoes he has up his ass that he didn't kill himself and his student that time they lost control of a twin engine airplane and ended upside down and rather than roll to the closest horizon he did a split S and somehow didn't tear the wings off.

Amazing, simply amazing.

Colonel

I think I've mentioned before, I've had tremendous success with this technique:

When someone is struggling with their landings, tell them today we aren't going
to land - just do some low flying, which of course is frowned upon but quite fun.

I handle the throttle, the student just looks outside at the runway, and with both
hands on the control column and his feet on the rudder pedal, doesn't pay any
attention to the airspeed - remember, I've got the throttle - and they completely
concentrate on flying final, and driving down the runway, looking outside the
whole time.

I add enough power so that they can stay at one foot.  They spend rather a lot
of time doing this, compared to normal approaches.  We go around a couple
of times, and I admonish the student his job is to NOT land.  Relax.  Have fun.

When he gets the hang of driving down the runway at one foot, I slowly reduce
the power.  The airplane does a beautiful landing.

During this exercise, I don't tell them where to look.  The student teaches himself,
what it looks like at one foot above the runway.  And that's good enough for me.

I might mention ... people think that landing a docile, slow, nosewheel trainer is
difficult.  They should try teaching pilots to land a Pitts.  Holy fuck, that's stressful.
Shit happens fast, and shit can go real bad, real fast.  The poor student is always
behind the airplane, and he's totally blind in the three-point attitude, which is a big
deal for some people.  They have no idea how high they are.  They have no idea
where they are, with respect to side-to-side on the runway.  And they have no idea
what crab they have on.  Holy fuck.  Try landing blind, hard and crabbed, and watch
the student put full opposite rudder on and hold it there.

There's a perfect demonstration of a Pitts landing.  Sure looks easy, doesn't it?

The only thing worse than teaching someone to land a Pitts, is to teach them negative
G formation, and negative G formation aerobatics on wing.  Holy fuck, that hurts.  Blows
all the blood vessels on my face.  And the effect of bank is reversed.  They're going to try
to hit the lead, over and over again.  Jesus, that's terrifying.

I'm done with that shit.  TC Inspectors and Air Canada pilots can do it, now.

I remember trying to teach guys, just normal positive G station keeping in the bumps.  They
thought they were quite something because they had [i]instrument ratings[/i].  Uh huh.  Flying in
the bumps, every one of them barfed.

I've said before: [u]no one teaches anyone anything[/u].  The best you can do, is create an environment
where a student can teach himself to do something.  He may very well do it [i]differently[/i] from you,
and as an instructor, you need to learn that's ok.  After a few decades, you will encourage it, because
by then you realize that everyone is different, and there's nothing special about how you do something -
it is merely one of many different successful techniques.

There is nothing more frustrating than a junior instructor trying to teach something - like landing -
[u]exactly the way he does it[/u], and the student just doesn't get it.  Around they go, hour after hour,
day after day, week after week.  I know that's how aviation is done today, but that's just stupid.

I used to think that aviation was all about physics and mathematics and engineering and mechanics.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaa.

The most important component in an aircraft is between the ears of the pilot.  Lots of different parts
of the aircraft can break, but that's ok as long as the component between the ears of the pilot is
functioning properly.

It behooves you to learn more about it's operation.

This is what the 20th century taught me about aviation.  I am from there, and I am comfortable
with that.  I realize that like my airplanes, guns and motorcycles, I am an anachronistic museum
piece today, and I'm cool with that.  Feel free to ridicule me.  See if I care.
Liquid Charlie

I like many others really can't explain how I do it. Hats off to instructors that have the gift of training.
My extreme was jumping between a DC3 and A Commander 690B man talk about ass dragging on the runway and then going back to that lofty view.
Thinking about this a little I guess a lot of my judgement of height did come from peripheral clues. I spent a lot of time behind a 1340 in a whore dyne all you could ever see was half the world so looking straight ahead and over the nose just wasn't possible. Glassy water and landing beside a shore line or an island leads to the same thing. I think you always maintain certain muscle memory for basic stick and rudder skills that work for every type you will ever fly.
Chuck Ellsworth

The DC3 and the 690B are great machines.

Which one did you prefer Liquid Chas.?
Liquid Charlie

At the time the 690 was a novelty and going from a world of smokey round engines to turbine, pressurized and almost 300 kts really was a rush but in retrospect the DAK was a wonderful grand lady and built my character. Shortly there after I went direct entry money seat on a CV 440 and that was because of the radial engine experience. The R2800 was the best radial I ever had the pleasure to handle, my only regret is I didn't get to fly a DC6 - That was my holy grail and always wanted to drive one like most present day pilots want to fly a DC3.
Chuck Ellsworth

The 690B is a pilots dream to fly for sure but the DC3 is a pilots wet dream to fly.  :)

When I was fying part time for NWTA I got to fly the DC6 but not enough to get rated on it.

For sure it was a real nice airplane and stable as a rock and sounded like a real airplane.
Chuck Ellsworth

My attempt at getting a discussion on height judgement during the landing on the flight training forum over there is not getting any intrest period.

Yesterday I posted another attempt seeing as there was over a thousand views and no further interest from the instructors there so I tried again.

The views quickly jumped another one hundred and still zero interaction from that group.

Therefore logic would dictate that height judgement during the landing has no real value in their world.

I find that disturbing.
Liquid Charlie

Don't worry Chuck automation will take care of it.

I often think back and ask myself "was I that cocky" but I wasn't, I was too busy listening to the experienced drivers and yes getting my ass kicked from time to time. Something that is really missing now.
Chuck Ellsworth

As pilot airplane handling skills degrade the following will become more frequent , and that should be cause for concern for those who fly on these airlines.

[quote]CHICAGO (WLS) -- A plane slid off a runway as it was landing at O'Hare Airport as snow fell on the Chicago area Monday morning.

A Chicago Aviation spokesperson said the incident occurred at about 7:45 a.m. as American Eagle flight 4125 from Greensboro, North Carolina was landing at O'Hare.

According to an American Airlines spokesperson, "After landing, American Eagle flight 4125, operated by Envoy Air, slid off the runway due to icy conditions at Chicago O'Hare. No injuries were reported. All 38 passengers and three crew members were removed from the aircraft and are now safely back in the terminal."
[/quote]

[quote]After landing, American Eagle flight 4125, operated by Envoy Air, slid off the runway due to icy conditions at Chicago O'Hare.
[/quote]

Therefore for passenger safety landing during icy conditions should be forbidden until fully automated flight is perfected and installed in these machines.
Colonel

Actually, I don't think pax are often hurt very badly when incompetent pilots slide
off the runway.  It bends a lot of tin, but no one gives a shit about that any more.

It's a "learning experience", remember?  The pilots will probably blame it on fatigue.

[img width=500 height=268][/img]

What's the big deal?  I'm told I'm a shit pilot compared to TC and the Four Bars,
and I spent decades flying off snow and ice-covered runways with howling crosswinds
and tall snowbanks with no problem, so it must be pretty fucking easy.