Sign of the Times....

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Eric Janson

http://avherald.com/h?article=4cc71405&opt=0

From the report:-

[quote]- The operator and the pilots had not read ATR’s flight operations information message (FOIM) regarding recommended procedures for crosswind landings.

- The operator’s pilots lacked full training in crosswind landings on the aircraft model.

The SHK reported: "RAF-AVIA’s internal investigation of the incident is dated 13 December 2018. According to the investigation, there were difficulties keeping the aircraft on the runway centre line due to gusty crosswinds. During the rollout, the ailerons were not deflected against the wind, which contributed to the aircraft briefly coming off the runway to the left, out into the grass, and possibly damaging the runway edge light. RAF-AVIA’s report was submitted to the Latvian civil aviation agency10 on 18 January 2019.[/quote]

A crosswind landing is a crosswind landing - I don't care what you're flying. The laws of aerodynamics/physics don't change with aircraft type.

The guy flying me home in the Emirates A380 a few days ago couldn't do one either - couple of violent swings after touchdown.

Colonel

[quote]lacked full training in crosswind landings ...

the ailerons were not deflected against the wind ...[/quote]

One has to wonder what pilots do these days, during the hundreds
of hours required to obtain a commercial pilot's licence.

Preen in snappy uniforms and read lengthy checklists, instead of learning basic flying skills?

Maybe they learned to fly at a prestigious, government-subsidized school
with a 5 knot crosswind limit?
Liquid Charlie

[quote]he guy flying me home in the Emirates A380 a few days ago couldn't do one either - couple of violent swings after touchdown.
[/quote]

You give the guy too much credit he was likely using autoland.
Eric Janson

[quote author=Liquid Charlie link=topic=10015.msg28718#msg28718 date=1568039429]
[quote]he guy flying me home in the Emirates A380 a few days ago couldn't do one either - couple of violent swings after touchdown.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Autolands are pretty smooth on airbus aircraft - the autopilot is connected to the rudder
JW Scud

[quote author=Eric Janson link=topic=10015.msg28724#msg28724 date=1568119801]
[quote author=Liquid Charlie link=topic=10015.msg28718#msg28718 date=1568039429]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Autolands are pretty smooth on airbus aircraft - the autopilot is connected to the rudder
[/quote]

Now tell us about how to land the Airbus on a 30 knot crosswind.
Nark1

I can do that:

Flaps 3.
Aim for the upwind side (edge) of the runway.
In the flair, use the rudder to line up with the centerline.
Watch the upwind brakes get nice and toasty, while the downwind brakes barely register. 
Turn on the brake fans.

Ask for another cup of coffee when you get to the gate.
Make the FO do the walk around as you flirt with the lead FA.
Colonel

A 30 knot crosswind in a jet is a MUCH smaller
percentage of the approach speed, compared
to a slow, little airplane.

I remember one day, the wind was howling across
the runway, and I barely noticed it in the L39.

Then I jumped into the Maule, and it almost blew
me off the runway during takeoff.  Completely
different experience.  I had to wake up, flying
a little airplane in that wind, that was nothing
in a jet.

Never understood why Canadians struggle with
crosswinds in fast airplanes.
JW Scud

[quote author=Nark link=topic=10015.msg28770#msg28770 date=1568692474]
I can do that:

Flaps 3.
Aim for the upwind side (edge) of the runway.
In the flair, use the rudder to line up with the centerline.
Watch the upwind brakes get nice and toasty, while the downwind brakes barely register. 
Turn on the brake fans.

Ask for another cup of coffee when you get to the gate.
Make the FO do the walk around as you flirt with the lead FA.
[/quote]

What about your general control inputs in the flare on the Airbus.
Nark1

I think there is a misnomer about the Airbus.  In the flare the controls are exactly like any other airplane.  Direct link to the flight control.

It’s not until you get a little altitude (100’ or so) you switch over to another way of controlling it. Load demand and roll rate. 

I enjoy fly the 320 series quite a bit.  But, my roll as an airline pilot is to make the passengers in the back go from A to B without questioning whether they’ll arrive at B. 

I get my kicks flying on my days off.
JW Scud

[quote author=Nark link=topic=10015.msg28779#msg28779 date=1568815420]
I think there is a misnomer about the Airbus.  In the flare the controls are exactly like any other airplane.  Direct link to the flight control.

It’s not until you get a little altitude (100’ or so) you switch over to another way of controlling it. Load demand and roll rate. 

I enjoy fly the 320 series quite a bit.  But, my roll as an airline pilot is to make the passengers in the back go from A to B without questioning whether they’ll arrive at B. 

I get my kicks flying on my days off.
[/quote]

How much into wind aileron do you use during the takeoff/landing roll. It seems the ATR guys used none.