Flight Training in Canada Sucks

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

according to an Advisory Circular released by Transport Canada:

[quote]foreign Civil Aviation Authorities are questioning the veracity and quality of flight training in Canada,
revealed by the [u]marginal competence[/u] of some Canadian flight training and licensing graduates when they
perform flight duties upon their return to their native country.

These foreign authorities are now contemplating alternative countries for the training of their airline cadets.[/quote]

No shit, sherlock.  One has to wonder how this could possibly happen, given TC's brutal micro-management
of flight training in Canada - it happens EXACTLY how TC wants it to.

Good Job, TC!  Look in the mirror if you want to know what the problem is.

Slick Goodlin

When the foreign training first started in a big way, most schools looked at these contracts like a big bucket of free money.  Very little effort was initially put into tailoring these programs to suit their students (because a Chinese or Indian kid will almost always have a different background of experiences from a Canadian kid) and the pressure to get them done in X hours or else they’d take their business elsewhere it’s no wonder this happened.  It’s easy to cheat on the TC exams when everyone who writes before you is assigned four or five questions and their multiple choice answers to memorize in order to build a complete question bank, and I have friends who have confirmed they took students for hundreds of hours of airplane rides with language barriers preventing any meaningful instruction from taking place.  I have no idea how these guys are getting through flight tests.

Seems to me that the quickest fix is to force TC inspectors to do the rides instead of the typical school CFI doing them.  When the failure rate immediately targets 100% the schools will have to change or die.
cgzro

I suspect the Chinese kids will end up training in China pretty soon. Its pretty normal for China to learn how to do things for a while overseas and then build up their own businesses locally, then they will go after the Indian kids business.
Colonel

That sure would be terrible, if all international flight training was in China ...

A lesson you learn, working as a contractor, is that some business you just
don't want.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=cgzro link=topic=9836.msg28261#msg28261 date=1562929190]
I suspect the Chinese kids will end up training in China pretty soon.
[/quote]
I really have no idea for sure, but I assume they pretty well have to be already.  The foreign contract training here seems to have cooled considerably from what it was ten years ago and I can’t imagine demand going down in that time.  It’s probably better for most of us that way anyways, including the students.
Colonel

mcrit

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=9836.msg28259#msg28259 date=1562899860]
according to an Advisory Circular released by Transport Canada:

[quote]foreign Civil Aviation Authorities are questioning the veracity and quality of flight training in Canada,
revealed by the [u]marginal competence[/u] of some Canadian flight training and licensing graduates when they
perform flight duties upon their return to their native country.

These foreign authorities are now contemplating alternative countries for the training of their airline cadets.[/quote]

No shit, sherlock.  One has to wonder how this could possibly happen, given TC's brutal micro-management
of flight training in Canada - it happens EXACTLY how TC wants it to.

Good Job, TC!  Look in the mirror if you want to know what the problem is.
[/quote]

Which Advisory Circular was that?  I think it is something my bosses need to have tattooed on the inside of their eyelids.
Colonel

408-002
mcrit

Thanks!  I tried to find it on TC's website to no avail.  Am I looking in the right spot?

[url=https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... ulars.html]https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... ulars.html[/url]
Tailwind W10