Not A Good Job: Addison TX King Air 350

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

I guess I'm the bad guy here then. I never guard the throttles on take off once I have directional control with flight controls. I certainly don't forget about the power but I am a 2 fisted guy on the yoke for rotation and landing flair on most heavy prop aircraft. Jets were different, while rotation was with both hands on the yoke landings were always one hand on thrust levers and the other flying. With spoilers a lot less aileron movement required and a fine touch to prevent wing walking is needed. Even on the herc I used both hands to flair and land but the cv58 was the exception because of carrying power to touch down. I adapt to what I need - very simple. It's also difficult to guard the throttle on a nordyne when your right arm is rapped around the yoke to get the nose up to get the water line back and then trim nose down then up for getting on the step. Like anything else there are exceptions.

Chuck Ellsworth

We all have our own methods of flying and there is no real right way to handle the controls, what ever works for each of us is just fine.

As to the force needed to move the flight controls of all the airplanes I have flown the PBY was required the most force to move the controls especially the elevator getting it on the step and I had no problem with only using one hand and the other hand was on the throttles.

Same goes for the landing.

What ever works best for each individual is the best way to do it.  :)
Liquid Charlie

I hear ya chuck-I have a little time in the pig boat, just a cpl of trips and they decided I would serve them better in the DAK. The heaviest controls I flew were on the Convairs. I flew then all, piston, dart and Allison I really enjoyed the 340/440. The R2800 was mighty fine - kind of gave you goose bumps and always a big shit eating grin.
Chuck Ellsworth

For sure the R2800 gave one a real hard on or for the females a real wide on.

I only got a few hours on them in NWTA's DC6 when I was flying in Yellowknife back in the day.