Not A Good Job: Addison TX King Air 350

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

Video has emerged of the crash

[youtube][/youtube]

Slick Goodlin

Addison airport:
[img width=500 height=306]https://i2.wp.com/ntc-dfw.org/wp-conten ... .jpg?ssl=1[/img]

Notice how there are no hangars past the end of the runway.  Just putting the nose down and putting it back on the ground may have been ugly but not as ugly as ten dead people.

Side note - I was at a great party in a hangar in Addison once.  Great in that it had an open bar and fantastic Mexican catering.
Colonel

There will be no new causes of aviation accidents in 2019.

If one accepts the above as axiomatic, therefore due to the lack of interest
in previous accidents (which are certain to be repeated over and over), one
must conclude that accidents - safety - is uninteresting to a 21st century pilot.

The inevitable conclusion is that people don't care if they live or die, any more.

In retrospect, I'm not sure why I bothered writing this down:

www.pittspecials.com/articles/MultiTakeoff.htm

Anyone else see the gear still down when they rolled inverted into the hangar?

[quote]If an engine fails at very low altitude, push the nose down to [u]maintain airspeed[/u], and simply [u]pull both throttles back[/u] and land on the remaining runway. 

If you have lots of runway left, you should be able to land with no damage to the airframe.  The gear is still down, remember? 

If you took off from a short runway your landing might not be pretty, but [u]you and your passengers will do better than if you had elected to continue the takeoff.[/u][/quote]

I'm sorry, I forgot.  I'm really stupid.  I have no knowledge, skill, experience or qualifications.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=9823.msg28318#msg28318 date=1563337176]
There will be no new causes of aviation accidents in 2019.
[/quote]
That’s saddening both because people don’t learn and also because it implies a lack of creativity.
Colonel

[quote]a lack of creativity[/quote]

That's what CAR 602.01 is the prize, for!

I know a Sunwing pilot, has more convictions than me for 602.01

It's not easy, but you can do it if you really try, and have an awful lot of fun in an airplane.

Warning:  the paperpushers will spend the rest of your life, shitting on you.  C'est la vie.
vanNostrum

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=9823.msg28211#msg28211 date=1562266739]
What do friction locks have to do with what appears to be a loss of control accident immediately after take off.??
[/quote]

Loose Power Lever Friction Knobs.
Concerning the two power levers on King Airs, a fairly hefty spring is attempting to pull each one back to idle at all times
As with any spring, the further it is stretched, the more force it applies … in this case, a force trying to return the power lever to idle.
The vernier controls in Bonanzas, the one-friction-knob-controls-all-levers in Barons and Dukes … because of this past experience,
a lot of pilots transition into a King Air without really having been taught much about friction locks.
But if the operator does not notice this power lever migration toward idle, God help him! Suddenly the airplane is not climbing and accelerating as it should,
rudder force is required to keep it straight, and autofeather (if installed) isn’t working! (Remember that autofeather is disarmed when either or both power levers move back.)
[b]
I am positive that more than one fatal King Air takeoff accident has been caused by this very scenario. [/b]quote

Tom Clements has been flying and instructing in King Airs for over 46 years, and is the author of “The King Air Book.”
He is a Gold Seal CFI and has over 23,000 total hours with more than 15,000 in King Airs.
Colonel

I am a Bad Personâ„¢.  I have no virtue to signal.

But I did instruct for 25 years.  During that time, I developed the annoying habit
that whenever a pilot took his hand off the throttle(s) below 500 feet, I would pull
it (them) all the way back.

Very quickly, pilots flying with me learned to

KEEP THEIR RIGHT HAND ON THE THROTTLES

below 500 feet.  Or, I would pull them back.

I am certain that TC would not like this.  I could not give a flying fuck at a donut.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]Very quickly, pilots flying with me learned to

KEEP THEIR RIGHT HAND ON THE THROTTLES

below 500 feet.  Or, I would pull them back.

I am certain that TC would not like this.  I could not give a flying fuck at a donut.[/quote]

Exactly.

When flying any multi engine airplane I always keep one hand on the flight control column / side stick and the other hand on the power levers until climb power is set and the trims are set to maintain the proper climb angle.

The trims can not caues a loss of power if you are holding the power levers in the desired position.

I believe in being in control 100%, not 50 %.
Colonel

[quote]I believe in being in control 100%, not 50 %.[/quote]

Reminds me of Asiana 214.  A four bar with 10,000TT in good weather managed
to crash a B777 into the seawall short of the runway here at SFO because he didn't
bother to control the airspeed with the throttles during a hand-flown visual approach.

Wrecked an airplane and killed some people.  I'm told he was doing it "the right way"
but the results of doing it "the right way" weren't too good, were they?

At low altitude, [u]fly the aircraft[/u] with your goddamned hands and feet on the flight and
power controls.  If you can't do that, well, I heard Starbucks is hiring.

Oh yeah, the ILS was down at SFO, so the 10,000TT four bar crashed a working B777 in perfect wx.

[size=18pt]No ILS, no Approach[/size]. 

[u]Vertical guidance is required for a four bar to safely commence an approach. [/u]

This lesson has been written in blood over and over and over and over again,
for many decades, and is curiously and conveniently ignored and unlearned.
David MacRay

Seriously. Even if you take your hands off the throttle during take off. I doubt I could be comfortable doing that. Are people sitting on them and listening to music so loud they can't tell what is happening if a throttle slides away from full power?