Engine Fire During Start

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Please, don't get out and look at it.  Keep cranking. 

If you don't believe me, because you think I'm stupid compared to you, read your POH.

David MacRay

Where did that happen? No one got video?
Colonel

TSB has video.  They are investigating the fatal
crash that occurred shortly afterwards.

I just hope no one’s feelings were hurt.
JW Scud

TSB is in Canada(as compared to NTSB in US). Where in Canada did this occur?
Colonel

TSB already knows, thanks.
David MacRay

I don't know everybody at tsb so I can't ask them to show me the video. :(
Colonel

Maybe someone can explain this to me.  I experience an awful lot of traffic jams.
Some of them are construction, some of them are just too many cars, and some
of them are caused by accidents.

Often there is a bad traffic jam on the highway, and when you get to the congestion
point, you realize that the accident is on the [i]other[/i] side of the median, not blocking
the traffic on your side at all.  People are just stopping to see if they can see a dead
body, which I guess really excites them because they are choosing to stop on and
block a busy highway, which is extremely dangerous.

But every time I go to the morgue, it's deserted.  I get it that people really love to see
dead bodies.  Maybe it gives them a chubbie - hey, no judgement. 

So why isn't the morgue packed?  Inquiring minds want to know.
David MacRay

Well not surprising but you and I are talking about different videos.

I do not doubt someone got out to look at a fire instead of doing what I honestly think most pilots would do which is shut off the fuel systems and keep cranking in hopes of sucking the flames out.

Then again as you point out us humans are pretty odd and sometimes enjoy attempting a less effective course of action imagining something might be better.

I wanted to see a video of a pilot doing whatever it was they did when getting out of the plane. Not the crash.

In fact I do not want to see a crash or someone being harmed by the fire.

I enjoyed that video scudrunner posted of the guy who I presume was looking past the other plane he taxied into at full throttle attempting to take off. I don't like that the planes were destroyed, one by propellor shredding. And I truly hope no humans were hurt.

Anyway. I'love trust that someone actually got out and looked at an engine fire instead of doing what at this moment I think would be the very obvious correct course of action and as you point out, the POH procedure.

Have a great week bud. Even though I'm not convinced you are fun to fly with, I certainly admire both your obvious skills and experience as well as some of your self depreciation..